Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camera in vertical (portrait) position on tripod head

camera in vertical (portrait) position on tripod head

Howdy,

I'm having difficulty securing my Crown Graphic in the vertical (portrait) position on my tripod head and keeping it from moving when I insert a film pack after I have aligned the camera and focused via ground glass.

I have a good tripod head (Markins Q-Ball M20) for my Nikon D2X that works well, but primarily because of the custom fit plate.

Would any of you have a suggestion for stabilizing my Crown Graphic -- possibly another head or a bracket?

Thanks,
    folsombob

Re: camera in vertical (portrait) position on tripod head

One quick addition:
    As you know, the Crown Graphic has but one tripod hole (thread) at the bottom, which adds to the situation.

Actually, Crown Graphics have a second tripod hole on the left-hand side, hidden under the leather handle...put there just for shooting verticals.
    : )
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Actually, Crown Graphics have a second tripod hole on the left-hand side, hidden under the leather handle...put there just for shooting verticals.
    : )
    Hmmm. You know, I knew that, but completely forgot and overlooked it.

That having been said, any recommendations for a head or bracket?

Thanks,

folsombob

Cool Re: camera in vertical (portrait) position on tripod head

You might get one of the Bogen 3047 (9047?) heads that have three handles, and use the quick release plate. You could keep the plate screwed to the camera, and use it when needed. The head is massive, and no way that will move once you tighten all three handles down. i had used it with a big Toyo 8x10 Studio camera, must have weighed 25 #, and it was solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Cunningham View Post
    You might get one of the Bogen 3047 (9047?) heads that have three handles, and use the quick release plate. You could keep the plate screwed to the camera, and use it when needed. The head is massive, and no way that will move once you tighten all three handles down. i had used it with a big Toyo 8x10 Studio camera, must have weighed 25 #, and it was solid.
    Thanks Herb,
    My problem is not with the head, but with the camera plate: the camera swivels slightly when I shove the film pack up.

The other suggestion I heard (from Tracy) was to simply use the side tripod hole, under the handle.

However, I would like to pivot from landscape to portrait position without have to remove and reset the plate each time.

The plates for my digitals are custom made to wrap around the bottom nooks and crannies of the camera, which prevent the swiveling.

folsombob

Quote Originally Posted by folsombob View Post
    Thanks Herb,
    My problem is not with the head, but with the camera plate: the camera swivels slightly when I shove the film pack up.

The other suggestion I heard (from Tracy) was to simply use the side tripod hole, under the handle.

However, I would like to pivot from landscape to portrait position without have to remove and reset the plate each time.

The plates for my digitals are custom made to wrap around the bottom nooks and crannies of the camera, which prevent the swiveling.

folsombob
    Either have two plates mounted or have one custom made that will allow mounting the camera in both orientations.

You're really asking for too much. You're either going to need a big, heavy tripod/head which would support a Howitzer, or just use the damn thing mounted on its side (as Gawd intended). Personally, I find the camera easy to use that way.
    The other option would be to buy a camera with reversable back (Technika, Super Graphic, Busch Pressman, etc).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by folsombob View Post
    One quick addition:
    As you know, the Crown Graphic has but one tripod hole (thread) at the bottom, which adds to the situation.
    The Novoflex QPL VR PRO is an Arca compatible L arm that is 7" long on one arm and 9" long on the other. That should let you switch from horizontal to vertical on any decent Arca type QR mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    The other option would be to buy a camera with reversable back (Technika, Super Graphic, Busch Pressman, etc).
    My Busch Pressman has the orientable back, which is handy. But I do have to remove the camera from the tripod, as the tripod head interferes with moving the back.