Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5 single sheet developing... best method?

Re: 4x5 single sheet developing... best method?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    In a tray! It beats all the tank methods in every respect. Less chance of streaking, more even development, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    And an excellent chance for sheets to stick together, as one thread today indicated, or for scratching. It also is great for fingernail staining and for any cuts or scrapes on your fingers! Also the aroma of the chemistry doesn't always easily come of the hands.

And it is no way more even or less chance of streaking then closed tank like the Combi or open tank like nitrogen burst deep tank or several other methods including dip and dunk and roller transport.
    Although it’s against my better judgment (and rather medieval of me) to cite authority rather than to suggest that one simply find the best match between personal darkroom habits and the most suitable processing method, here goes –

“My personal preference is to develop sheet or film-pack in a tray,” AA says in The Negative. “I find this assures more even development than tank development, provided the trays are large enough to allow for generous movement during agitation.”

Personally, I like sloshing two 4x5 sheets, and counter-intuitively, shuffling 3 or 4 – then back to sloshing if it’s 5 or 6. But I don’t think I’d suggest my way as a preferred choice for others. What finally works best for you may also prove unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    In a tray! It beats all the tank methods in every respect. Less chance of streaking, more even development, etc
    Or get a "daylight tray" - a Paterson Orbital. Since you only need 100-150ml of developer solution for up to four 4x5" sheets, it's very economical. Your only issue will be finding one - best place to look is ebay UK.

If I do 1 or 2 sheets of 4x5 alone I use the little 2820 Jobo tank. 40cc minimum chemistry to cover the film.

I find that the BZST type tubes work quite well. If you use a water bath to roll the tubes in, then development is very even. A friend tried using a type of moter base and got streaking. With a water bath the rocking motion is quite random and eliminates streaking. There are lots of methods for developing sheet film, this is just what I happen to like.

Roger

The Paterson Orbital looks like a great item to put on my wish list. The tubes also sound like a good method that I will try. Now to fabricate a baffle to allow daylight changing of chems?

I know alot of folks use trays, but I've found that a 4.5" pyrex loaf pan (pick it up at any kitchen supply store) works really well for developing single or multiple sheets. Same concept, but I think it is a better tool for the job.

I've never tried it, but you might look up the "taco method". It involves some elastic bands and a two-reel plastic tank, but I have read that very good results have been obtained, and with a minimum of chemistry.

Daylight tanks have covered in past threads on this web page. If you do any kind of volume and want daylight development you choices are Jobo, HP Combi or Yankee. I personally use the HP combo as i often develop 10-15 sheets at a time and single sheets in trays are to time consuming for my production. I have 4 HP Combi tanks and they work fine. I use them as a daylight inversion tank. I would avoid the Yankee tanks, I have two of them too, as these are not inversion tanks,are not sealed, and are easy to spill liquid and drop the developer level below the top of your film. If you buy tubes only get BTZS tubes as plastic from a building supply can leak light and is not made to keep light out from the tube walls. Others like the Jobo tanks and I tried them and like the fast load of the HP Combi tanks better. Many of the complaints about the HP Combi stem from not opening the spickets enough to let the air escape and this creates for very long pour times. This is operator error. I have been getting excellent results for many years now with the Combi tank
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Deniz Merdanogullari Deniz Merdanogullari's Avatar

I often use a Paterson 35mm-120 film tank without the reels to develop 2 sheets at a time.
    load in the dark, rest is done in daylight. CONVENIENCE and consistency.

I use a 4 reel tank to do my 8x10s in.
    works for me. so it should for you.