Page 91 of 114 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets See Your Darkroom

Lets See Your Darkroom

Sorry for the multiple replies. My phone kept saying it didn’t post but it did, and I can’t see where to delete replies in the Tapatalk app.

Re: Lets See Your Darkroom

Thanks Colin. Are the cants mostly for decoration? I.e, Do you think I could get away with just letting the epoxy fill up the cracks in the corners and not do any cants or fillets then? I’m planning on staining the 3/4 sanded birch with Minwax gel stain before the epoxy, and then sanding the stain with a fine grit sandpaper so the epoxy will form a bond with the gel stain, then doing 3-4 coats of the west epoxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cant strips are somewhat structural I suppose, but not nearly as strong as ones made from epoxy. They're mostly to help keep water from puddling along the edges and corners of the sink. All the joints are glued with 3M 5200 adhesive and screwed together, so it's pretty strong as it is. Here's a link to the build diary with more details- http://colinflanarygraham.com/darkshop/?p=3131

When I was researching this the recommendation was to really key the plywood surface well for a good bond, so I used 80 grit sandpaper. I also ran across a lot of warnings about surface contamination compromising the bond. Not sure if gel stain would cause issues, if it's oil-based it might be a problem.

I learned a lot just by watching the West System videos on youtube, there's a good 12-part series on wooden boat repair that's very helpful- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtbG...NEOeaMRxDllYnb

Quote Originally Posted by Dhuiting View Post
    Thanks Colin. Are the cants mostly for decoration? I.e, Do you think I could get away with just letting the epoxy fill up the cracks in the corners and not do any cants or fillets then? I’m planning on staining the 3/4 sanded birch with Minwax gel stain before the epoxy, and then sanding the stain with a fine grit sandpaper so the epoxy will form a bond with the gel stain, then doing 3-4 coats of the west epoxy.

Why bother to stain it? Serves no purpose I can see. The name of the game is to get it WATER TIGHT-not pretty. Go back several pages and look at my sink...it's not pretty, but it's water tight!

Thanks Colin! Super helpful. I’ve actually decided that I’m going to dye the epoxy bright red. A 12’ x 30” x 6” sink with bright red inside, black base and outsides, and a walnut-color stained arm rest on the front running the whole 12’. I think it will look nice and inspire me to get in there and use it every time I see it.

And Mrfujicaman that may be your opinion, but both form and function matter to me. Do you fill a house with ugly furniture just because it works for sitting? No. Same goes for my darkroom. I want to be inspired every time I step in there. Not feel like I stepped into a cramped, dingy, cluttered space with no soul or vibe which is what my last darkroom space in my old basement looked like, and it made me never really want to go down there. This one will be a space I enjoy looking at and being in, and creating art in.

DR 4 progress.

Got the Beseler X-XL 8X!0 conversion stuck to the wall. I was able to mount it myself by bolting a boat trailer winch to an existing lower hole, then feed the strap up the enlarger to my skyhook an 8X12'X3/4" plywood lag screwed to 2 2X4"X 8' studs wich were also laged to the walls. The window was blacked out, insulated and covered by 2 sheets of plywood to make the room a bit stronger in a storm.

Last pic shows it almost operational. Just need to tune the chassis, add a time and turn it on.

I got it last Spring. Somebodies DIY 8X10 conversion. Came complete with Aristo V54 Cold light 1212 and 12x12 filters, 240 mm El Nikor and an adjustable table.

It has room to make 40X50" prints, But I will most likly not exceed 20X24 and usually do 16X20 or 6X17 panos.

Next, I need shelves, install water with a Hass mixer and filters i bought years ago. The Rose made SS sink is already in place.

Paint may or may not happen.

Yes Drew, that is Watco on cheap plywood.

I have a deadline for 21 prints by 1-1-2019.

IMG-1259 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    IMG-1258 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-1262 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Looks great, Randy!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Looks great, Randy!
    Thanks, Peter, took more thinking than doing!
    Tin Can

Jealous!

I still have the carcass of an 8x10 Calumet that I want to build into an 8x10 enlarger. Just haven't had the time.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Same kind of setup for me. 8x10 on left. 5x7 setup for 6x17 negatives on the right. Zone VI VC heads, Metrolux II controller. I found someone who wanted rid of them. 300 and 240 Rodagons on the 810. 210 and 180 el Nikkors on the 5x7. I use a Beseler 4x5 setup for day to day stuff
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180620_111009_1533528182843_resized.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	181273