Page 10 of 114 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets See Your Darkroom

Re: Lets See Your Darkroom

Wish I had your ceiling height

I'd leave the floor as is but would throw some garage paint/ epoxy on it. I agree with putting up drywall as it'll make the space more comfortable in the winter. Definitely add some more power outlets, I'd think about one or two in the ceiling as well for the safelights etc..
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by thart2009 View Post
    I am still up in the air on the floor. Laminate flooring is pretty inexpensive and easy to install. Looks good too. Vinyl sheeting is even cheaper. .
    Since you have a bare concrete floor you may wish to consider an epoxy paint like that used for garage floors. Easy to do now prior to any other construction.

Instead of sheet rock you may wish to use a wall covering product called Marlite.

http://www.marlite.com/

Don Bryant

wfwhitaker

When I put a darkroom in a previous home that was built on a slab, I used Behr Porch & Floor enamel from Home Depot. I put down three coats and it was extremely satisfactory, giving me a neat looking, problem-free surface which could be mopped easily. But prepping concrete for paint usually involves etching which is more easily done in a garage or outside where using a hose won't cause too much problem. In my case I had to bring a garden hose in through a window and use a wet vac to pick up and remove the water (and it was a lot). In retrospect, it was a lot of work. But it was worth it in that case because I knew that eventually I'd sell the house and that room would have to be reverted to a bedroom with wall-to-wall carpet. The painted concrete worked well because it could be carpeted over without any resulting bump up from the adjoining hall. In your case it may be easier to install some vinyl flooring which would still provide a surface which could be easily cleaned and would provide some cushion, too. (I had cushioned rubber mats over my concrete floor which could be taken up for cleaning.) There are a lot of choices and variables. Keep in mind how long you plan to be in that space and what ultimately may become of it. It may help direct your decisions.

Shifting my Darkroom previous room size 3mtr x3.6mtr shifting to 4mtr x 1.9
    a loss of 3.2 sq mtr but totally indapendent from family intrusions, a bonus for me.
    But a lot of work involved .
    So sanding ,painting ,fit out , to go
    if you say it quick it shouldn,t take long !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post

249 views and counting

view of old darkroom

Used this room for 10 or so years and doubled as 2nd bathroom
    will miss the toilet for convenience sake only.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz8 View Post
    Shifting my Darkroom previous room size 3mtr x3.6mtr shifting to 4mtr x 1.9
    a loss of 3.2 sq mtr but totally indapendent from family intrusions, a bonus for me.
    But a lot of work involved .
    So sanding ,painting ,fit out , to go
    if you say it quick it shouldn,t take long !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work! Hanging drywall is next for me. I have not done that before and am not too excited about it. Keep the photos coming.

Dry wall ( Gyprock ) is very simple as you have besser block walls using Cornice cement in acorn size dops 300 mm 12" apart is the go, use a straight edge to push the sheets in place and a immediate suction effect will take place.
    lift first sheet 10mm off the floor in case of water spillage and then the flushing/finishing takes place after 3 coats then the best job to come Sanding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ,which is incedently my job tomorrow then the cornice then painting .
    Considering it was 42 c yesterday 25 and rain today 26 tomorrow while its cool I,ll get stuck in to it
    bazz8

Bazz - hope today's weather was better! I'm slightly ahead of you on the same project, albeit this is my first darkroom. This is being built in a corner of my 6m x 9m shed, giving me 3m x 2.7m for the darkroom. I've just put the first coat of paint on the concrete floor, and can start building the sink and dry bench next weekend. Such fun! Thanks to everyone posting here for the inspiration and ideas. Cheers!

Talking Re: Lets See Your Darkroom

Not much difference in size Chris,yes sanded yesterday spot filled any defects my darkroom is realy 3 rooms the total size are 10mtr x1.9 1 WIRobe 1 entrance storage area come air lock to the darkroom.
    out and about today tomorrow cornice and cladding the end walls.
    Bazz8