Page 9 of 114 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets See Your Darkroom

Re: Lets See Your Darkroom

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Soren,

Your darkroom looks great but I should tell you that there is an odd looking man lurking in the corner. He has an oddly curved spine and looks mischievous. I would send someone in there to remove him.
    Thats ok, he is my darkroom elf though he normally wears red at this time of the year and drives a big sleigh drawn by reindeers
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Very inspirational stuff here! I stumbled upon a free Saunders LPL 4500II (in almost 'new' condition) and now I get to build my darkroom around it... T.

Darkroom under construction. The Saunders enlarger was free from a kind soul that saved it from the dumpster...! I had to drive from Ohio to Boston t pick it up, but I was happy to do that. Need to add sink and frame in the 8' x 17' room. Decide what to do, if anything, with the block walls. Can't wait to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by thart2009 View Post
    Darkroom under construction. The Saunders enlarger was free from a kind soul that saved it from the dumpster...! I had to drive from Ohio to Boston t pick it up, but I was happy to do that. Need to add sink and frame in the 8' x 17' room. Decide what to do, if anything, with the block walls. Can't wait to complete.
    Looks very similar to what I started with. Also, I see a ceiling tall enough to accept an 8x10 enlarger....

At least, paint the walls, making it easy to wipe them down for dust in the future.

8x17 is very nice size, it will be a beauty when done!

Nice spot. The tables look nice and rugged. I'd paint the walls with some latex or garage floor paint, mostly for looks and cleanliness.

It's great to see so many thriving personal darkrooms. Reviewing this thread I recalled this series of photos on London's last professional darkrooms.

http://www.richardnicholson.com/darkroom/

THart; When you paint your walls, go to an Sherwin Williams store and ask for Block Filler then top coat, they may even have a mistint (re: cheap) particularilly if you go to a large store. Looks like a plywood epoxy (West System) sink is in your skill set. Before long you'll have a box to keep your dark it.
    Cheers,
    Neil

wfwhitaker

Darkroom under construction... Decide what to do, if anything, with the block walls.
    Well, if you're asking... My vote would be for a vapor barrier and drywall over studs with insulation. I think the room would be much more comfortable and pleasant over the long haul. That's assuming it's your own property. Otherwise seal, paint and Wiremold. You're gonna get frustrated very quickly with that one lonely outlet.

Thumbs up Re: Lets See Your Darkroom

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    Well, if you're asking... My vote would be for a vapor barrier and drywall over studs with insulation. I think the room would be much more comfortable and pleasant over the long haul. That's assuming it's your own property. Otherwise seal, paint and Wiremold. You're gonna get frustrated very quickly with that one lonely outlet.
    Well, my initial thought was to go as easy, inexpensive and quick. I have never installed drywall and thought I would paint the block walls, panel the other two, and install a drop ceiling. Checking the price of drywall and studs, though, I can drywall the entire space and ceiling for less than the original plan. I kind of dread working with drywall but I guess I will be giving it a go. I am still up in the air on the floor. Laminate flooring is pretty inexpensive and easy to install. Looks good too. Vinyl sheeting is even cheaper. I can see this project spinning out of control a bit but what the heck. This will require putting my 4x5 camera upgrade on the back burning for a little longer. I suppose I could sell off my remaining digital equipment to help finance? Thanks for the thoughts and ideas....