Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocking Sale

Shocking Sale

I received a call from a client in New York, who told me, that two of my pieces were sold in the Madoff auction for $8500. That's ten times what I sell my work for and the biggest shock is that I've never sold anything to Mr. Madoff and from the level of his taste, I find it very distressing. The fact that he had an Arbus, a Modotti and a Model, doesn't make me feel any better, it just makes me think he has a thing for female photographers. I've always been very selective in the sale of my work and this has me absolutely flummoxed. Has anyone else here been so "honored" (not)?
    Denise Libby

Rural location in North WestNSW, Australia.

Re: Shocking Sale

Put your prices up? In Australia new copyright laws allow artists to get a royalty on re-sale of their works. It would be nice if this happens to me... poverty has its limits. Congrats, Chris Jones.

PS, I am worried that ordinary people, like the nurse who lives next door, might find $500 too much for my prints and if I cut this down to $300, I may not meet costs.

joseph

I take it that they weren't being sold on your behalf?

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    I take it that they weren't being sold on your behalf?
    As I read the news all the Madoff properties and possessions were being auctioned to recover money for those lost in his ponzi scheme. If anything, you can take heart in that, or is that recovering people's money who were gullible to believe in the scheme for huge profits? But then there were a lot of people and organizations who's investor, outside their knowledge, invested with Madoff. Mabe you can track who had the pieces which sold to ask them why they sold it Madoff?
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

I read a number of places the guy had a lot of knock off stuff. At least we know he now had a little bit of taste. At least that money raised will go toward the people that this rat bastard robbed, even if it isn't to your pocket. Most of that stuff sold at such a high price because of the name behind it. There were a number of examples of things that were valued at, say, $800 that sold at $8,000. It's all so you can get your name in on a lil bit of history. Funny how the Prisoner Watch sold for $10k less than it's expected auction value.

You have ZERO control over where your art goes after you sell it. You are just control-freaking. If it is any consolation, rich people rarely choose the artworks they display.

Interesting business plan

"I don't like your taste in art –NO PHOTOS FOR YOU!!!"

(Apologies to the Soup Nazi)

Of course if you don't like his taste in art, and he likes your work, that could be troubling. But rest assured, most rich people have people who buy their work for them. There is a possibility that Bernie first saw your work AFTER he bought them.

Come back, ONE YEAR!

I see it as a positive, in that the sale proceeds will help a few that he ripped off.

One might wonder how much of the price paid for your work is attributed to the "Madoff factor" ? Too bad you're not seeing any of that money though! On the other hand, maybe it's a good "excuse" to raise your prices now?