Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metering with my Digital

Metering with my Digital

So I'm new to LF and have a pretty newbie question. If anyone can help out would be much appreciated.

I read on Ken Rockwell's site that the easiest way to meter is to just copy the settings off of your digi cam.

I've got a Shenhao 4x5 view camera with a schneider super angulon 90 and a nikon d700 with a 14-24 ultra wide. I think the schneider is roughly equivilent to 22 mm, is this true?

Assuming I'm using velvia 50 film, here's what I think the process (for getting exposure settings from my digicam) should be and please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Set my lens to approximately 22mm.
    2. Set my digicam on aperture priority mode
    3.Set aperture to aperture on view camera (aperture previously having been calculated to capture necessary depth of field)
    4. Take and review picture with digicam. If image is acceptable take settings from digicam and transfer shutter speed to closest equivalent in view camera.
    I dont think my digicam can drop to ISo 50 so should i close down one step to compensate?

Thanks in advance
    Cheers

Re: Metering with my Digital

There was just a thread on this recently. Here is the link:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=dslr+metering

I do it all day long ... especially with strobes ...

Quote Originally Posted by binaryfaith View Post
    So I'm new to LF and have a pretty newbie question. If anyone can help out would be much appreciated.

I read on Ken Rockwell's site that the easiest way to meter is to just copy the settings off of your digi cam.

I've got a Shenhao 4x5 view camera with a schneider super angulon 90 and a nikon d700 with a 14-24 ultra wide. I think the schneider is roughly equivilent to 22 mm, is this true?

Assuming I'm using velvia 50 film, here's what I think the process (for getting exposure settings from my digicam) should be and please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Set my lens to approximately 22mm.
    2. Set my digicam on aperture priority mode
    3.Set aperture to aperture on view camera (aperture previously having been calculated to capture necessary depth of field)
    4. Take and review picture with digicam. If image is acceptable take settings from digicam and transfer shutter speed to closest equivalent in view camera.
    I dont think my digicam can drop to ISo 50 so should i close down one step to compensate?

Thanks in advance
    Cheers
    If you are going to do any type of field work why not just use a good hand held meter, either incident or spot. Toting around a camera to meter with, either digital or analog seems like a major pain. Using a meter makes you think about the light values and the aesthetics of the subject lighting as it will record on film.

What could be simpiler or easier?

Don Bryant

There are lots of reasons to use a digicam for a meter. However, the D700 and that 14-24 is a MONSTER, plus the lens has to be babied because of the protruding element. Unless you are shooting with it in parallel, you might consider something smaller. You do not have to match the field of view, just point the camera at what is important to have exposed correctly. Do you have a little digicam you can use? Or at least a smaller, easier to manage lens for the D700?

I just bought the new Canon S90 - a remarkable camera for its size - shoots RAW, has a 2.0 lens on the wide side very good high ISO capabilities and fits into any pocket. That's my permanent companion now for all LF outings and will do double duty as a meter using the histogram.
    Juergen

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    There are lots of reasons to use a digicam for a meter.
    Oh really? Kind of hard to use one for BTZS measurements, or thinking in terms of EV.

I have several DSLRs and ASLRs and I'll never use one for a meter; amazingly people managed without them for light meters for decades.

Not to mention the bulk and weight.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Oh really? Kind of hard to use one for BTZS measurements, or thinking in terms of EV.

I have several DSLRs and ASLRs and I'll never use one for a meter; amazingly people managed without them for light meters for decades.

Not to mention the bulk and weight.

Don Bryant
    People managed to get without electricity for even longer. Some don't use it even today. It doesn't mean it couldn't or shouldn't be used.

How hard or easy it is depends only on one's comfort zone.

On the other hand, a DSLR or a compact can always be used instead of a polaroid or simply for documentation, since they also record, date, time and other info and most of them can take audio or even video notes.

My Canon G10 is neither bulkier nor heavier than my Seconic. I cary both with me because I want to, but in a pinch, I could use a G10 for measuring light, but I could never use a Seconic for documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    People managed to get without electricity for even longer. Some don't use it even today. It doesn't mean it couldn't or shouldn't be used.

How hard or easy it is depends only on one's comfort zone.

On the other hand, a DSLR or a compact can always be used instead of a polaroid or simply for documentation, since they also record, date, time and other info and most of them can take audio or even video notes.

My Canon G10 is neither bulkier nor heavier than my Seconic. I cary both with me because I want to, but in a pinch, I could use a G10 for measuring light, but I could never use a Seconic for documentation.
    My G10 is bulkier than my Sekonic. And I know my G10 can't measure light as accurately or display the results in nearly a palpable manner as the Sekonic (or Minolta or Soligor, etc.) for setting the aperture and shutter on my VC lenses. Or for inputting data into my Palm Pilot for BTZS calculations.

AFAIC, using a camera for a light meter is like substituting a corn cob for toilet paper.

Don

Sometimes I too like to use my hand for a hammer but it really isn't the tool for the job.

Personally, to me, using my 5DII or my 1DSIII for a light meter when shooting 5X7 is sort of demeaning to both digital photography and to film photography all in one fell swoop. At my age I try to save my energy as much as I can. My Sekonic is a much better tool and it weighs substantially less.

Donald Miller