Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: cooke series II anastigmat?

Re: cooke series II anastigmat?

Here is the corner of my 8x10 camera, note it covers a lot further than the 5x6 marker.

I put it on my wholeplate camera, and just shot two sheets, one wide open, one at F8. In the soup now.

Garrett, your lens appears to be marked 5x8 not 5x6, according to Cooke the 8" covers Half Plate (1919 TT&H Cooke BJP ALmanac advert) the marked 5x8 is the nominal coverage with movements for a Half plate lens. It should cover 7x5 OK but with less room for movements.

I know my 6½" covers 5x4 with plenty of room for movements, the Soho Reflex has front rise/fall, tilt and swing, I just tried one of the 5¾" lenses on a 7x5 camera and it just cuts off the corners so will cover 5x4 well. TT&H Cooke don't listed the coverage for the 5¾" lenses which were made for Quarter plate and 6.5x9 SLRs, it's the shortest FL that can be used on the smaller the Thornton Pickard Ruby Reflex cameras.

Ian

My ground glass on this 8x10 is marked that size for a wetplate holder I use. I then moved the lens to a permanent lensboard on my 6 1/2 X 8 1/2 Rochester, where it covered very well.

Terrific lens! I've got a 13" in a Betax
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Terrific lens! I've got a 13" in a Betax
    Hey John are you sure you have a Series II f4.5 13" as it would be a Cooke Portrait in series II at that FL and it will NOT fit in shutter. You sure you don't have the series w/ max aperture of f8 or f6.5. It's kind of a different animal.

There was a13" f4.5 Series II, TT&H Cooke state that the 8½" & 13" include a new diffusion adjuster (in 1910) it wasn't sold specifically as a Portrait lens. The Cooke Portrait lens at that point was a IIa f3.5 12".

Ian

Here is a good rundown of both the soft focus Cooke Portrait Anastigmats, and the non soft focus Anastigmats. Note, there is an Anastigmat IIa at F3.5 (near top), and a Portrait Anastigmat IIa at F3.5 with the soft adjustment (towards the bottom of the page).
    Click for entire catalog

aah - the IIa..

I LOVE mine..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cookeIIa-3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Hey John are you sure you have a Series II f4.5 13" as it would be a Cooke Portrait in series II at that FL and it will NOT fit in shutter. You sure you don't have the series w/ max aperture of f8 or f6.5. It's kind of a different animal.
    I'l have to go look for it and report back!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I found a missing link Cooke that is marked as a Series II Anastigmat (without "portrait") however there is indeed a soft focus mechanism between the lenses. Its odd as one the other early Cooke portraits that I have seen was marked portrait however instead of a mechanism you just screwed in the rear lens for more softness.