Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for good quality, lightweight film changing tent/bag - any suggestions?

Looking for good quality, lightweight film changing tent/bag - any suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good quality, lightweight, compact film changing tent/bag to replace my very old film changing bag. I want it mainly for field work and for up to 4x5 use. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Peter Brown

-- The early bird catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

I love my Harrison Pup Tent. I use it in the field, but also frequently at home for film loading in 4x5 holders and for loading my JOBO expert drum. I like working in the light around my family and not crawling off into the dark room for this. Well made and compact. Can't think of anything wrong with it...

Hi Peter,

The harrison tents are excellent and are available from Samuelson's Film Services in Artarmon (Sydney).

When space allows I use the Sinar Black Box in the field which is a hard attache case with internal pockets for holding boxes, etc. Of course Baltronics is the source for them and you'll need a big limit on your credit card.

For travelling I use the Photoflex Changing Room?? a collapsible affair akin to a Lastolite reflector. Never any problems with this btu it is delicate. Borge Andersen stock them.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Hooroo ... Walter

I've used the Photoflex changing room and liked it. I've never tried a Harrison.

I bought something similar to the Photoflex when Calumet had them on sale. It looks just like the Photoflex, but the sleeves are both on the front instead of on each side. I find the sleeves on the side easier to use.

DW

Peter, The Calumet tent is very good. The sleeves are on the front panel and make loading/unloading a real doddle. MUCH cheaper than the Harrison, but needs to be treated with care!! Especially out in the field.

The Harrison tents are first rate. I'll have a review of their giant model--big enough for 12x20 and larger--in an upcoming issue of PHOTO Techniques. -

I too have the Photoflex tent and like it when I use it.

You'll find a tent to be a great improvement over a bag. I've used a Harrison for years. Suggest getting an 8x10 size even for 4x5. The extra room is luxurious and the size and weight aren't much of an issue.

Dave Karp

Peter,

I have a Photoflex tent. It is very useful. I have not used it in the field. I use it when I do not have a dark room available. One issue I have found is that the bottom does not sit flat, so the contents tend to drift toward the middle. Otherwise, I am very happy with it.

I agree with Mr. Wolfe. If you buy the Harrison bag, get the large one for 8 x 10 even if you use 4 x 5. It is well worth the extra money.