Thread: New member advice on a 4x5

Rob Simmons

New member advice on a 4x5

Hi,

Looking to upgrade from my Crown Graphic to something with more movement and I have been looking at a few options.

1. I like going out into the field and would maybe like to go that route yet I would like to do some studio work as well with this camera so the view may be a better option.

2. Some cameras I have been looking at would be a used Toyo 45AII which can be had for 1,100 said to be only used twice. I have seen at B&H a used Sinar P2 for 998.00 but with a rating of 8 Well used - may exhibit "dings" or finish marks. I have a Used Sinar F2 Kit with Schneider 210/5.6 APO-symmar (EX+) at my local camera store for 1,500. I have also considered going new with something like a Tachihara 4x5. I am trying to stay in a budget of around 1,000 to 1,500 dollars. So any opinions on what route I should take.

Thanks

Re: New member advice on a 4x5

You should consider a Graphic View II and get the adapter to use your Crown Graphic lensboards. These things last forever and have all the movements you could possibly need. Probably under $150. You may never need anything else.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Metolholic

I picked up a Toyo 45AII this spring and it has quickly become my favorite tool. I highly recommend it. Shawn

Depends if cost is a factor. The solutions already mentioned work great. The next step up in price would be a used Cambo or equivalent $2-500K depending on condition and accessories. Next are new Chinese field cameras Shen Hao, my personal camera, and Chamonix new in the 6-800 range. Next is used sinar F2 and others. I would get good glass first and if budget permits do the camera second. The camera is just a box to hold light and they all work the same once you learn how to use the controls.!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Sinar Alpina.

Rob Simmons

Well I was at the camera store and they had a Toyo 45C with Schneider 240 5.6 Copal 3, a Bogen 3251 tripod with a heavy duty head, 14 film holders a Polaroid 545i, a extra recessed lens board, and regular lensboard looks like a copal 0 or 1, a focus cloth, a Toyo spanner wrench, a shutter cable, and looks like something that goes over the bellows and a case all for $1,000. Looks like it is brand new, so I think I am in business.

Good score! All those little bits and pieces add up in a hurry. I wonder what the thing is that goes over the bellows? Wide angle bag bellows maybe?

Enjoy!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Hello Snommisbor,

That outfit sounds like a decent setup. The one thing that jumped out at me was that the 240mm lens could be a bit narrow depending on the subject matter you typically shoot. I used a 240 for years on my 4x5 but it was a "narrower view" lens.

My main lens for 4x5 has been a 210 which is visually very different than the 240. Many people use a 150/180 as their "dominant" 4x5 lens.

You should consider this as you make your decision regarding the outfit. If your typical subject fits the 240, this could be a great deal for you. If not, you will end up adding another lens soone than you think.

Best of luck on your journey..

George

Rob Simmons

Wayne, it is a wide angle bellows. I switched it out this morning to see if that was what it was.

Rob

I know some stuff. Glad you figured it out. Now go get a wide angle lens.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei