Thread: Bag Recommendation For New LF Outfit

Bag Recommendation For New LF Outfit

I recently acquired an Ebony RW45 and three Fujinon lenses (mounted on lensboard s of course) and am looking for some advice as to an appropriate bag for this eq uipment.

Any recommendations from you folks carrying similar sized gear in? Of course my Pentax Digital Spotmeter, assorted filters, film (and holders), etc. etc., are part of the package.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions .....

-Bob

A Lightware case.

Beverly Hills, California

Hey, is anyone missing an Ebony RW45 and three Fujinon lenses? Just kidding. Lucky you.

A Domke J1 bag. Inexpensive, waterproof and capacious. You need the accessory shoulder pad though.

I second the Domke J1. Very spacious, rugged, weatherproof, and easy to access. Mine is loaded with 1 Wisner Pocket Expedition (4x5), 5 lenses on board with shutter release (Super-Angulon 65/5.6, Super-Angulon 90/8, APO Symmar 135/5.6, Symmar-S 210/5.6, Nikkor T ED 360/8), 1 Sekonic L-508 Meter, 1 Toyo 3.6x loupe, 18 film holders, 1 BTZS dark cloth, and filters (polarizer, 2 ND grad, warming).

Hi Bob,

I use a Pelican underwater sealed case for storage and for when I'm not moving far from my vehicle, the internal dividers have nice slots which fit lensboards perfectly, and a Lowepro Phototrekker backpack for trekking off into the undergrowth.

Both easily take all my gear; Ebony 45S, four lenses & boards, Fuji Quickload, Sinar Zoom 120 back, lightmeter, Polaroid back (sometimes) and film and accessories.

The Lowepro is rugged (I've had mine for more than ten years and used it in a variety of situations and it is still in good condition) and comfortable to ca rry for shorter treks. For longer overnight trekking with camping gear, food, etc, I use a proper backpack. One disadvantage with the Lowepro is that it is not top loading, so if the ground is wet or dirty you need to put something down (AW cover, rainjacket) so that the straps don't get covered in mud or dirt. The advantage is that all your gear is easily accessible from the large single opening on the side.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Peter Brown

The Lowepro bags are good. If you fancy the idea of a backpack then the Pro Trekker is good but I've just got a Super Trekker and despite the size it is ideal for LF and the suspension/harness system makes the load feel very light. For holdall-types, the Commercial is a good LF bag.

The Lowepro bags ARE very good, and the harness system on the larger bags make them seem almost weightless, which is a good thing, as a Phototrekker AW is around 7lbs. The only complaint I have about the bags is the way you need to put the bottom of the bag on the ground to get full access to the inside - that same bottom is next to your back when carrying, and picks up moisture and dirt, which of course ends up on your back as well.

But I've used a Lowepro AW Phototrekker for the past three years, and it's the best I've found for larger kits.

The AW cover found on the Lowepro can also double as a groundsheet on which you can lay the pack/bag to stop you getting wet/muddy when you are carrying it.

Robert, check out the Lowepro Omni Pro. It fits my camera, 3-4 lenses on boards, light meter, Polaroid/Quickload back and film. It comes with a shoulder strap as well as backpack harness, and it fits in both a Pelican case and Porter Case that are regulation carry-on size.