Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instant Film Backs that Fit

Instant Film Backs that Fit

I'm having a problem with getting instant film backs to fit under the ground glass on my old-school Calumet camera. I had a Polaroid 545 that worked fine but unfortunately, the film isn't available anymore. The camera isn't professional grade but it works (silver metal color with fixed bellows). I'm hoping there is some instant film solution to use with it.

I finally broke down and bought a PA-45. Unfortunately, the back doesn't fit under the ground glass. I'm wondering if anyone else out there might be able to help me determine if there is a back that would fit. This is what I have determined:

Polaroid 545 back thickness: ~1.5cm (fit, but film discontinued)
    Fuji PA-45 back thickness: ~2.75cm (too thick)
    Polaroid 550 back thickness: ?
    Fuji PA-145 back thickness: ?

My camera has about a 2cm max allowance under the ground glass.

If anyone has a 550 or 145 back and can tell me the thickness, I'd appreciate it. Or, if anyone knows an option for replacing the metal tension element holding the ground glass, I'd be interested in knowing about it.

Thanks....

Re: Instant Film Backs that Fit

The 550 I have is the same thickness as the PA-45. None of the above holders will fit if the fuji doesn't. You could get a graflock back instead and replace the one you have.

Hmmm... I may be stuck without instant proofs.

From what I can tell, a graflok won't mount to this kind of old-school back (see pic). The perimeter screws are for attaching the fixed bellows, I think. I could remove the ground glass screws/spring but I would be left with a 6.5" diameter circle which doesn't look like the graflok shape.

Any thoughts?

jadphoto

Just measured my 550 and Vinny is correct. It's right at 27mm measuring the part that needs to fit under the gg.

Joe D.

Your camera looks like a CC400 (or similar, there were a few...) and Calumet made some longer springs to allow the ground glass to lift up further from the body just for this reason.

Email Calumet and see if they still have any (they did a few years back when I needed them).

Good idea-- I'll check with them. The model isn't listed on the camera. But, from the info brochures listed on cameraeccentric.com, I was able to figure out that mine is a CC-401.

How hard are you trying? My Zone VI doesn't like it, but if I am persistent, I can get a 550 or 405 (both 27mm thick) under the gg.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Thanks for making that point. I wasn't forcing it in because I didn't want to mar the back in case I have to return it.

The roller handle brings out the ground glass about 20mm but since it is a spring element, it should be able to extend further with sufficient force. I guess it's just a matter of trying not to disturb the camera alignment while wrestling the fuji back in and out.

I have contacted Calumet and still waiting to hear back to see if they have a roller handle that forces the spring tighter. Doesn't seem likely but but perhaps. Apparently, there are no graflok-adaptable parts for this model.

I was never comfortable forcing the holder into the Zone VI. Fortunately I have two other cameras with Graflock backs.

Richard Ritter says that's possible to place additional washers between the springs and the camera back on his cameras. Perhaps you could do that with yours. 3-4 mm of washers and a bit of extra pull on the back and it might work.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

It isn't the roller handle that you need to replace, but the springs. With longer springs you need to lift out the gg with the roller, then pull it out further with your hand to slide the PA-45 in. The shorter (stock) springs won't allow this, but the longer ones will.

Perhaps your camera already has the longer springs?