Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanning negatives ???

Scanning negatives ???

I have never dealt with having negatives scanned until today. I am completely traditional with my fine art photography but was going to try and go digital printing for color. Since I do not do ton of color I was going to have them scanned locally. I was quoted $58 a neg for a scan capable of a 20x24 output. Is this normal?. Would I be better off to buy something on the line of an Epson V750 and scan them myself? I would not want to print larger than 20x24 and most 16x20 and smaller. Any advice would be appreciated.

Octogenarian

Re: Scanning negatives ???

You didn't mention the size of the negatives you want to scan.

However, if they are 8X10, or smaller, an Epson V750 will handle them with ease.

At $58 a scan, you can purchase a V750 for the price of about a dozen scans.

8x10 is the largest I own right know. I will still do all my black and white traditionally, I just want to be able to do color this way.

For a 20x24 print I think you would be saving yourself considerable cost by picking up a V700 or V750, if you intend to wet mount then got with the latter, otherwise a V700 should suffice. The only other major difference between them will be the software versions shipped so you may also want to take that into consideration (I use vuescan to drive my 700).

However, don't underestimate the learning curve and time investment required for scanning yourself, if you can afford to the time then scanning yourself is well worth it.

Purists will argue that a drum scan will give you better fine detail and contrast (and they undoubtedly will), but at approx 720ppi (the scan resolution required for 20x24 prints @ 300dpi from an 8x10 neg) I'm not sure you're going to be able to see much difference in the finished article. 1440ppi, that required for a 20*24 print from a 4x5 neg may get a little closer to the real world limitations of the 7xx series (approx 2400ppi max resolution) but I think it would be a difficult thing to tell prints apart.

I guess it all comes down to outlay versus return.

Lyle,

If you would like some help with scanning your negs, I operate a drum scanning service in Denver. Presently I'm running my Fall/Winter sale and can scan your film for less than you were quoted. You could save yourself the time scanning your film and go back to shooting.

Respectfully,
    Jim
    James (Jim) Beck
    www.jamesbeckdigital.com

Michael E. Gordon

If you get the V700/750, ditch the supplied Epson film holder (which trims into image area) and get the Better Scanning variable height holder. MUCH sharper and cleaner scans, even if you 're just dry mounting.

Second recommmendation for the betterscanning.com holders from me.

You ought to be able to do this with a flatbed, it just depends on the quality you want. I would say stay with 4x5 and larger, rather than anything smaller. I happen to have a drum scanner and scan for others. You might want to get a flatbed scan done and a drum scan done, for the first two and see which one you like better.

The words capable of 20x24 should mean that they are giving you a min of 8640 pixels, at native, uninterpolated resolution. (24x360dpi).

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

The BetterScanning Variable Height Mounting Station does not accommodate 8x10 transparencies.

According to the site, "...the scanning area is approximately 225 mm x 145 mm (8.85" x 5.71") for fluid mounting and slightly less at 215 mm x 145 mm (8.46" x 5.71") for dry mounting".

However, if you simply tape your 8x10 transparencies to the glass, you should still get enough resolution to make a very nice 3x enlargement. To print at 360 dpi, one would need 3 x 360 or 1080 spi, roughly half of what the scanner delivers under best focus. The mounting improves things, but doesn't double the quality. In other words, we are already close to best, at the level of the glass surface.

There's no need for a mounting station for 8x10, the 7xx series has a dual lens setup, one lens is optimised for mounted film, and the other for the platen (although in reality you may need to tape 8x10 negs to a sheet of glass and shim to obtain critical focus.

For 120 and 5x4 the betterscanning holders are invaluable.