Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is there money in LF portrait work?

Re: Is there money in LF portrait work?

Scott ain't that the truth. I just priced C41 developed and contact printed.

While I know that everything comes down to the business end as much or more then the artistic (I've seen some bad wedding stuff) I guess the whole LF thing isn't necessarily an advantage. I know somewhat of the portrait business having tried that long ago. I wasn't looking to get involved again, just wondering about any potential tie in with LF, Platinum, tintypes etc. It is a unique thing. Now tho I'm wondering just who is actually making money with LF that hasn't turned to digital for business reasons.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Van Camper View Post
    Look at Karsh....to get Karshed the customer was charged a minimum of $30k per portrait. But he was an excellent at business. He chose his market carefully....located right next to the parliament building in Ottawa. He was there when they needed him, high prices were expected (suggesting the best). We have digital backs, but still they do not match the tonality and quality of 8x10 film, and these customers prefer prints far larger then what a digital back can do. When the market wants 40-60 inch prints for the parliament hallways, an 8x10 is still very convincing with a lot of tradition, and is far more archival for images of important people (this is your differentiated advantage and what your customer must be aware of).

I think it can work, but you must pick your market carefully (with lots of money).
    are you sure it was $30,000 ?
    i know someone who karsh made a portrait of
    and i don't think it was nearly that expensive ...

but just the same, he wasn't cheap ...

Look at Karsh....to get Karshed the customer was charged a minimum of $30k per portrait.
    I don't think that is remotely historically accurate. Where did you find that figure?

Don Bryant

Makes me proud to own a Calumet, when mine grows up it wants to be an 8x10.

multiplex

I read that a long time ago (like 20 years). So don't expect me to find the source, or even to prove its accuracy (it was what I read). But do you really think he will be cheap (under $1000)? When photographing famous people (presidents, etc) it usually involved trips to the other side of our planet...his air ticket alone will cost more, then his accomodations, and assistants, and don't forget your paying a big chunk for the name. I understand his studio took up the entire 5th or 6th floor at the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa (not something the average photogapher can afford...we're talking big $$$). Add it all up, and do you really think he will do a portrait of you for $1,000 or even $5000, when he has more important people to photograph.

Please do some of your own research before you start trying to discredit others. The link below shows him charging FORD $10,000 for a 2 week session in 1951 when wages back then were $1.33 per hr at the Ford Canadian plant. Seems to me $30k is a conservative figure.

http://www.sciencetech.technomuses.c...ion/karsh5.cfm
    i know what you are suggesting and why, but
    i don't think he charged anything close to what you claim he charged.

Yes, it's possible to earn some money with a LF portraits. But you earn many more with a digital. Most of the people don't see any differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    I am always amazed that those who will pay $500 for a haircut balk at paying that or more for a portrait.
    I'm amazed anyone would pay $500 for a haircut.

Does it really matter? I think the range varies widely, from $10,000 for 2 weeks he charged Ford in 1951 to whatever. Depends on the job, travel, # assistants needed, size of print, etc. He did charity work too. I found some info... up to you if you would like to find more.
    His recent biography states that his fee in 1963 was $1000. After that, his major source of income was publishing rights not new sittings.
    Ottawa residents always got a significant discount.
    My great Aunt was Karshed in 1935? for 3 dollars.
    As to the Chateau Laurier, they stated that they benefited from his presence and that he and they came to an arrangement.
    One reason he moved to the Hotel was that his Sparks St studio was to large!
    Fine book on him is
    Portrait in Light and Shadow: The Life of Yousuf Karsh by Maria Tippett
    Regards
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKohn View Post
    I'm amazed anyone would pay $500 for a haircut.
    Talk to a woman sometime