Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof tech iv 5x4 valuation

Linhof tech iv 5x4 valuation

Hello everyone, apologies for joining the forum and then proceeding to ask such a mercenary question...! Regardless, I am thinking of selling my large format gear off due to unfortunate money issues, and would appreciate some guidance from your good selves if possible. Listed below is the kit that I have, and I'm having a little trouble estimating it's value here in the UK as it seems there aren't that many around for sale (I've tried the usual such as ebay, etc). Anyway, on to the gear - many thanks in advance for any help, it's much appreciated

- Linhof super technika iv 5x4 in excellent condition, serial number 72865. I can't imagine there are many tech iv's around in better condition. All leatherette in tact, clean, bellows light tight of course, all movements smooth and solid, groundglass perfect, recently had a visit to linhofstudio in London (the official UK linhof importers) for rangefinder matching to a new lens (described below), and everything was checked over passing with flying colours. 150mm infinity stops and distance scale in place.

- Linhof optical viewfinder 75-360mm in excellent condition with additional 6x7 mask. (This is the viewfinder that is tan-ish in colour to match the tech iv colour)

- Schneider 150mm f5.6 mc APO lens in perfect conditon, matched to the linhof for rangefinder use (by linhof studio as mentioned above).

Re: Linhof tech iv 5x4 valuation

Just ask Paula at Linhof Studio.

Hi Bob, thanks but I have done this already. What I was hoping to get from here was a private sale price as opposed to selling to a dealer.

Although hated by many, eBay might be your best bet. List the camera with a low starting price and let bidders determine the market value.
    Juergen

Quote Originally Posted by linhoftechiv View Post
    Hi Bob, thanks but I have done this already. What I was hoping to get from here was a private sale price as opposed to selling to a dealer.
    Just ask her what it would cost you if you wanted to buy your outfit from her. That is the retail price.

These are not uncommon items in the LF world and you may be able to find recent sales of the same or comparable items in ebay's completed sales section. Also look on the web sites of dealers who sell used LF equipment (e.g. MidWest Photo Exchange, KEH, Lens and Repro), see if they have these or comparable items for sale and knock off about 10% - 20% since most people expect to pay an individual less than what they would pay a dealer. But FWIW (not much) -

Tech IV in excellent condition - $900- $1,000

Optical viewfinder - These things used to sell for a surprisingly high price and I haven't checked lately so this is just a pretty wild guess but maybe $200 - $250 - I'm not sure how much the mask adds to the value, if anything.

Lens - Assuming this is an APO Symmar, $300 - $400.

I may not be adding enough of a premium for the fact that yours appears to be set up perfectly for use as a rangefinder and someone who really wants to use it that way might pay a premium if you sell it as a kit. But normally you'll get more if you sell items separately than as a kit.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone, Juergen you may well be right with using ebay - whilst the fees are annoying, it perhaps is the best way to seek out a market value.

Brian - thanks for the estimates.

KEH will give you a quote online to buy your gear. Compare that price against retail. Split the difference. You're in the ballpark or the criquet pitch.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

You could always see if Teamwork or Robert White would sell your camera as a commission sale. They take a % of the final price.

In the UK that can be beneficial as the dealer only adds VAT to his commission, so a private buyer would only be paying a small amount of VAT.

Ian

When I bought my IV, having a cammed lens was a big selling point. I think you should do better selling the camera and lens as a package. But since you are in England, I do not know how much relevance US pricing would be.