Thread: Hello, LF newbie from Fort Myers, FL

Hello, LF newbie from Fort Myers, FL

Hello all! I have "lurked" here for a while now, but just a few days ago bought my first 4x5 view camera. It's a Calumet CC-400 that I am reasonably sure was made in 1973. I bought it in very clean condition from a professional photographer that used it in her studio.

I have been largely dormant in photography for about 25 years now, but recently the "bug" bit me again. In the mid-seventies to mid-eighties I shot lots of 35mm and 120 roll film, and did my own black and white processing. I still have all my old equipment. I couldn't bear to get rid of it and had assumed that home processing was extinct in the digital age until I stumbled across B&H's web site one day and discovered all my old friends are still available--D-76, HC-110, etc. I literally wept when I found that. I've tried digital, but it just isn't the same rush as pulling your own work from the wash and holding it up to light for the first time.

I don't really have space for a full darkroom now, but I plan on developing my own film and then scanning it with my Epson V-750 scanner. I've used that on some of my old 35mm slides and been impressed with the results.

Be prepared for some "slap the forehead" questions from me as I get my bearings on this new format. I've been rooting around my bookshelf and dusting off some old books--the Ansel Adams series, etc. and also added "Using the view camera" by Steve Simmons, so I hope that (and reading the articles and postings here) will shorten my learning curve. I have a 10-sheet box of Fuji Velvia 100 on order, so I can hardly wait to take my first LF picture.

Re: Hello, LF newbie from Fort Myers, FL

Welcome to group therepy! The Calumet 400 is a fine old workhorse with a good reputation and easy to find lensboards. Shoot lots and have fun!

Re: Hello, LF newbie from Fort Myers, FL

Thanks Vick. I've been spending hours searching the forum posts for processing 4x5 film in Cibachrome 8x10 print drums, and it looks like the procedure works. I was recently given a Beseler 23CII enlarger, along with a Cibachrome roller and two drums, plus misc. trays, etc. I don't have the space for a full darkroom, but I think that the 8x10 drum will fit in my changing bag and after it's loaded, I can work in daylight. I can hardly wait to run some film through my camera and see what it produces. Like I told the woman that I bought it from, I feel as excited as a little kid on Christmas morning.