Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using an Epson v750 to scan 5x7

Using an Epson v750 to scan 5x7

Given that this scanner does not come with a 5x7 mount, how should one go about scanning a 5x7 negative or positive?

I understand that Better Scanning makes an after-market mount that covers 5x7. I'd appreciate comments on that mount from anyone who has experience using it.

Thanks.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Re: Using an Epson v750 to scan 5x7

Take a piece of glass and wetmount your negative to it or take a piece of anti-newton glass and tape your negative to it. Put this piece of glass (side with negative facing down) on the scanner with a thin washer in each corner holding it up off the glass.

Make a scan of a small section at hi-res.

Add a washer to each corner (the glass is now supported by 2 washers stacked together in each of the 4 corners). Scan again. Compare to the previous scan. If it's sharper add another washer and scan again. Repeat until adding a washer makes your scan less sharp. At that point remove 1 washer from each corner and you have a good height for scanning on your scanner.

Of course, washers are cheap and readily available, but you could also do it with coins or anything else you want like typing paper..

I use a BetterScanning mounting-station and I'm very happy with it. There is nothing magical about it, simply a very sturdy piece of machined plastic and a piece of glass. But it's very well done and once you get the workflow going you can scan any film up to 5x7" with precision and definite flatness. (I.e. there is no need to recalibrate once you've calibrated a 5x7 for precise height.)
    And yes, the key to success lies in wet-mounting. Apart from the flatness issue, it's somewhat like cold-light in that it supresses dust and scratches. On the other hand, it secures optimum flatness, which gives optimum sharpness. It's a little bit messy until you've got the hang of it, but it's really worth the extra effort as the difference is visible.

//Björn

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    Take a piece of glass and wetmount your negative to it or take a piece of anti-newton glass and tape your negative to it. Put this piece of glass (side with negative facing down) on the scanner with a thin washer in each corner holding it up off the glass.

Make a scan of a small section at hi-res.

Add a washer to each corner (the glass is now supported by 2 washers stacked together in each of the 4 corners). Scan again. Compare to the previous scan. If it's sharper add another washer and scan again. Repeat until adding a washer makes your scan less sharp. At that point remove 1 washer from each corner and you have a good height for scanning on your scanner.

Of course, washers are cheap and readily available, but you could also do it with coins or anything else you want like typing paper..
    Sorry, should have said that this is how I do it. The BetterScanning platform won't work with 8x10 film so I started doing the above.

Jeremy,

Sounds pretty good to me. Do you put a slip of paper or something under the washers to prevent the washers from scratching the scanner glass, or is that too fussy/unnecessary?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Jeremy,

Sounds pretty good to me. Do you put a slip of paper or something under the washers to prevent the washers from scratching the scanner glass, or is that too fussy/unnecessary?
    I only use the scanner for scanning negatives and they sit outside of the used area so I don't care if I scratch the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Given that this scanner does not come with a 5x7 mount, how should one go about scanning a 5x7 negative or positive?

I understand that Better Scanning makes an after-market mount that covers 5x7. I'd appreciate comments on that mount from anyone who has experience using it.

Thanks.
    V750 should come with an extra plate of glass mounting system for wet mounting, it was included in the pacakge.

You can find the detailed instructions on the BetterScanning web site itself...

See http://www.betterscanning.com/scanni...gmstation.html

Thanks, I've read that. Do you use that mount?

Mostly, I want to scan black and white and colour negatives to determine which ones go in the trash and which ones go to the gentleman who scans and prints my photographs. We have a working relationship, he knows what I want and he does good work. I use my scanner for deciding what I want to take further; I don't do my own printing.

Yes, I use the BetterScanning mounting station when doing my final scanning - but if all you intend to make is proofs, you don't need to bother with a mounting station.

If the film is highly curved, you can just tape the negatives to the glass (with the right kind of tape), and what you have will be plenty good enough. Otherwise, don't even bother to tape it down.