Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graflex Grafmatic sheet film holder

Re: Graflex Grafmatic sheet film holder

If it is the older Wista DX with the wooden spring back, it will work but it will be pushing the springs to their limit and the back may not seal light tight in "pointing up" situations where gravity will pull the back down... With lighter cameras like that I'd stick to regular holders. The weight of three holders is about the same as one Grafmatic anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    G-matics are great, but not totally foolproof..... I've been distracted & pulled the holder out before advancing. DOHHH!
    I've shot a frame with a double-sided holder, pulled the holder, set it down, then realized I put the darkslide in backwards and couldn't tell which side had been exposed and which hadn't. Nothing is foolproof, there is always an ingenious fool ready to throw a monkey into the wrench. The best we can hope to do is develop good habits and cultivate a sense of humor.

Re: Graflex Grafmatic sheet film holder (And Polaroid)

Hello all.
    Thank you all for your comments and the warm welcome.
    I will think about the Grafmatic and get it (if the price stays reasonable) to try it out.
    As I get the Wista up and running I am sure I will have questions from time to time.
    Like this one for example:
    The camera kit I bought comes with a Polaroid 545 back. Is this a door stop now?
    Regards, David

Re: Graflex Grafmatic sheet film holder (And Polaroid)

Please disregard my Polaroid question. I have learned that this site has answered most questions before and I just have to go looking for the answer.
    Regards, David

David,
    Probably not enough of a taper on the narrow end. You might need to take a grinder to it to get it to fit under the door, depending upon the gap below the door.
    I do understand they might also be useable with the Kodak and Fuji Readyloads / Quickloads.
    Regards,
    Len

Some Grafmatics have recently been bid up to rather insane amounts on eBay. The only reasonable explanation seems to be that Acros and Portra are no longer available as Quickloads and Readyloads. I was rather enamored with Quickloads myself until recently. I find that their convenience can be offset by the wind blowing the dark slide "flag". Too, the need for dust-free film is lessened in a hybrid workflow.

So I've recently just acquired my first Grafmatic. They really are a satisfying bit of old-school technology, that hark back to the greatness of the Industrial Age.

But from my beginner's perspective, I can tell you that dealing with three regular double-dark holders will be a lot easier to master at first. Particularly if you're loading film in a changing bag. (I suggest a large one with stays, the Photoflex Changing Room is what I just bought specifically for the task).

I've been buying a lot of bag magazines (12 shot) lately. I normally get them for $25-45 depending. There are a couple of sellers who routinely list them at $175 and up. I've watched the same items for months now, and of course they never sell. I emailed them and asked if they would sell them at the "going rate" and provided links to the auctions I had one, and they have always replied that they would lose money if they sold them for such a low amount. I guess that's as opposed to the money they are losing by re-listing them month after month after month. I suppose if someone is desperate enough to buy one at that high of a price it's all worth it.