Thread: Reciprocity advice

Reciprocity advice

Hello,
    I will be shooting the artificially lit interiors (no natural light at all) of a few buildings over the next few weeks. I am a student and familiar with using black and white film and its reccomended reciprocity compensations however I will be using fujicolour 160S 5x4 for these shoots and I cant find any guide lines for reciprocity for this film. The exposures are going to be long I imagine very long in some cases so if there is anyone willing to share their knowledge and experience of this film I would be most grateful.
    Many thanks, Trish

Re: Reciprocity advice

There is a product sheet at http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bi...n_Bulletin.pdf which has a long exposure compensation table up to 32 sec. I would plot on a graph the 2, 4, and 32 sec exposure compensation points and then extrapolate the curve out to further times if required.

Some documents from Fuji simply don't mention anything beyond 32secs, one document I've found gives times of more than 32 seconds as "not recommended". No explanation though. Since I have ordered some 160S myself, I'll just try it with some "generic" reciprocity compensation and see what will happen.

If I'd be doing it for work, I'd do a test run first, since I'm doing it only for fun, my pictures are my test run.

From my recollection, the addition of reciprocity of a stop at 32 is new. I know I've looked up reciprocity for Fuji 160 pro, and it didn't have values beyond 2 seconds.

Based on this data, I would estimate that there would be a two-thirds stop correction at 13.6 seconds, or let's say 14 seconds.

Hi, thank you for all your advice and to Jim for the link.
    I had seen this before however I have to say it threw me off because it refers to Lens opening.

As I don't want to open up my aperture I imagine I will be converting the relative aperture into time so that if at 4 seconds the 1/3 correction would mean i would expose for 5.3 seconds and at 32 the+1 would mean I am exposing for 64 seconds? If this is correct I just want to check that I have grasped this concept right?
    I know it says its not recommended but I have only found 2 negative colour films one being the Fujicolour 160 and the kodak Portra both of which seem to be for portraiture and I have been unable to find negative film in the UK to fit my subject matter.
    Also when reading up on the fujicolour 160s I have seen a lot of people say that they rate it at 100 ISO rather than 160. Has anyone on this forum found that this is better??
    Thanks you again for everyones input.