Thread: Largest format

Largest format

About 20 years ago, I saw a Polaroid print in a museum of (I think) a famous pai nting titled The Assertion. The Polaroid print was about 4?X6? and was not seam ed together. They had the camera that had taken it on display. It was essentia lly a aluminum frame about4?X4?X6? with dark cloth draped over it. At the time it didn?t occur to me to ask where they got a lens with a 4? focal length and an 8? field of coverage. Does anybody else remember this picture and camera? I t hink that I saw it at the museum at Berkeley.

Largest format

Neil it was probably a pinhole camera, I saw an article about a guy here in Mexico who made a paper negative 7'x4' with a pinhole camera....or camera obscura as they call them here.

Largest format

Aren't we talking about the same thing Joe McNally just used to take pix of workers at Ground Zero in NY for Life? around about 8'x4' film and lens from a U2 spy plane? Wasn't this thread just on here?

There was an article on the NYTimes site, but now you might have to pay for it... below had a link

http://hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=006sgr
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Largest format

Actually here's the link - all you ahve to do is register at the NY Times (free) if you aren't already

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/01/arts/design/01POLA.html

And Joes pix were in the Life special thats out
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Largest format

That is it, thanks.

Largest format

The camera used recently by Joe Mcnally IS the same camera, from the original question. Back in the day, Polaroid used scaffolding and opaque black plastic to make a location camera in the Vatican to shoot the frescoes. The 40x80 camera is now in a private studio in NYC, but can be rented. Feel free to e-mail me with questions about the big (20x24 +40x80) cameras. Eventually I will get some more info up on my website www.mammothcamera.com Tracy ps,
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com