Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens choice for a particular angle of view

Lens choice for a particular angle of view

I have a 16mp Hasselblad digital back which I haven't been using much. I've it up for sale but haven't had any takers and I'm thinking of putting it on a 5x4 camera.

Bearing in mind the sensor is 36.9mm x 36.9mm, I'm wondering what 5x4 lens would give me the same angle of view as a 50mm on a 6x6 Hasselblad?

I'm also wondering if there's any sliding digital back adapters that don't cost a fortune?

So any recommendations for a lens and sliding back and a camera to suit?

Re: Lens choice for a particular angle of view

Regaurdless of sensor size, you want to use a lens that will give a 50mm effect on what is a format that uses 80mm as it's 'standard' lens.

Therefor 80/50 = 1.6 as the standard lens on 5x4 is 150mm 150/1.6 = 93.75 so an 90mm lens should give the same effect.
    But there again.....I've ben wrong many times before !

Cheers Dave

Gilbert Plantinga

You still need a 50mm lens because you haven't changed format at all - the sensor size is the same no matter what camera you use.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Gilbert Plantinga View Post
    You still need a 50mm lens because you haven't changed format at all - the sensor size is the same no matter what camera you use.
    Having just given it further thought......Your right Gilbert Focusing a 50mm lens on a 5x4 camera will require a very deep recessed lens board!

Well I told you I'm often wrong

Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    Bearing in mind the sensor is 36.9mm x 36.9mm, I'm wondering what 5x4 lens would give me the same angle of view as a 50mm on a 6x6 Hasselblad?
    Actually 50mm. The sensor is not changing, so the format is not really changing, so the focal length for the same angle of view should not change.

Coverage and how much movement is available is another question. Given that 4x5 is a much larger format (~100x125) I doubt that coverage (what the lens projects) for most any 4x5 lens would be a problem.

about 30 mm
    regards
    Martin

It's not about changing the lens for equivalent view.
    As others pointed out already, the sensor size sees the same through any camera body if the lens is the same.

So if you used a 50mm lens before, you could use the same,...
    Probably with a recessed lens board pending which 4x5" camera you would use.

Furthermore, not all 50mm lenses have the same image specification/performance.
    Focal length is independent from cone of illumination, image circle, or illumination uniformity at the sensor.
    To this effect, you might find a smaller or longer focal length to the 50mm lens that develops a similar image pattern at your sensor when focused at infinity, or close up.

Sometimes stitching backs appear on EBAY, often through sellers in China. Most of those I have seen only allow stitching along one plane, meaning that you could do a wider two or three capture image, but your aspect ratio on your final image would change. Depending upon the 4x5, you might be able to do a four shot capture using rear shift, and you could go up in size of final image captured area. Remember that there would be overlap needed for each stitch segment, though I think you could do four shots with a 90mm that would be similar to what you are doing now with a 50mm and one shot.

Stitching also limits what type of scenes you can photograph, though it can be great for architectural images. Sometimes there is not enough room to get the shot in one frame, or simply not a wide enough lens with you. Then a two or four shot capture that you stitch later could be a great solution.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

I'm kindof scratching my head here and not sure if this question is answered or what to think. I know its not 50mm, and probably near 30mm, perhaps 28mm. But I'm not sure.

I've no interest in stitching, the sliding back is handy for focusing and moving the back into place, thats why I'd like to see if I can get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    The question is a bit unclear and somewhat confused. A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens, no matter what it is mounted on. And a 36.9x35.9mm sensor is 36.9x35.9mm sensor no matter what it is mounted on. So, assuming you actually mean is

Bearing in mind the sensor is 36.9mm x 36.9mm, I'm wondering what 5x4 lens would give me the same angle of view as a 50mm on a 6x6 Hasselblad using a 36.9x35.9mm sensor on Hasselblad and the 4x5

Then the answer is, of course, 50mm, because you are shooting on the same format. However, interpolating your question some, some of the possible questions you could be asking are:

What lens on 4x5 gives the same field of view as 50mm lens on 36.9mm x 36.9mm
    What lens on 36.9mm x 36.9mm gives the same field of view as a 50mm lens on 6x6
    What lens on 36.9mm x 36.9mm mounted on a 4x5 camera gives the same field of view as a 50mm lens on 36.9mm x 36.9mm mounted on a Hassy (ans: 50mm, of course, cause camera body doesn't matter)

Oh, I could likely go on ...
    Anyway, since we aren't sure what you mean, you are going to get varied answers