Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone identify this Arca Swiss

Can anyone identify this Arca Swiss

I came across this Arca Swiss in a shop. There's no model name or anything on it. It's got gray and black plastic controls/knobs.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7353/arcaswiss1.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3229/arcaswiss2.jpg

They're asking equivalent of around $1,300. It comes with a Rodenstock Sironar 135 f5.6 lens, Hoya filter, and an all-in-one sliding roll film back holder (there's even a roll of [now exposed] film in it!) with ground glass, but seems pricey to me.

Thanks.

Re: Can anyone identify this Arca Swiss

Seems pricey to me too.

First of all, the camera is set up the wrong way around. Doesn't matter much, but the focusing knob is on the wrong side this way and the bubble level should be on the film side, so you can keep an eye on it in the last moment before you expose the film (to catch any moved tripod legs etc).

Some of those knobs are black, not gray, in my similar vintage Arca. I also doubt that the red bellows are original.

Apart from that it's an old Arca-Swiss, somewhere before the 80s (could be 50s/60s/70s). I think they don't know what they have, so they exaggerate the price.

Is there a sheet film back? Is it 4x5? From the angle of the second photo it looks like it might be 5x7 but maybe it is distorted? A roll film back is semi-worthless.

It is a very early Arca, they did make small knobs like that and also red bellows. It is overpriced by 3-5x even if it has a back. If it is a working 5x7 then it would be rare and desirable and worth more, but not $1300, more like $500.

SF Bay Area 94303

I have one exactly like that one except my bellows are black. It is an early B series (Just base (B) tilt). I paid $180 for it 15 years ago. That one has the nice optical bench on the bottom which is not usually seen. They are wonderful cameras, but not $1300 wonderful. If you need parts your only choice is Ebay. It is not an 5X7. The standards are the same size. Where is back for it? Don't but it for any price without the back. No one will sell you a back alone. KFry

Smile Re: Can anyone identify this Arca Swiss

This an Arca swiss 4x5 B(base tilt) built until roughly 1983 when the F-line cameras came out.
    No levers, no bellows frames available any longer. Also, they work well and are light but,
    The delrin/plastic? rail guides some times shrink and crack--No longer available.
    Otherwise OK cameras. Come back if more questions.
    Rod

Way too expensive at $1300. You could find an Arca Discovery or maybe even a Classic F 171mm for that price. A more reasonable price for these models would be in the $300-$500 range.

If you get one of these older Arcas, they depend on foam seals to prevent light leaks. I have an older 6x9, and the seals appear to be in pretty good condition. Modern Arcas do not depend on foam light seals.

Look at what you can get (F-Classic) for far less at KEH and forget this shop.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Yes - it's the Basic B. . . the A was Axis-only tilt, B for Base-only and C had a combination of axis and base tilts. The lens and roll-film holder give a bit of credibility to the price but not $1300 worth. $500 is probably tops if it includes a back (which isn't in the photo).

A 4x5 back isn't too hard to find. I have an extra that I bought for about $100 a few years ago (but for my Plaubel Profia 8 x 10) and they do pop up now and then on evilbay.

Chase the price down to $500 or even $600 (if you really want it) but I wouldn't suggest you pay much more.

Good luck!

P.S. It's really a great camera but I prefer axis tilt - makes focusing easier when you use tilt.
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Thanks all. There's no 4x5 back, so if you include the time and hassle involved in getting one of those, it's not worth it. If I were in the US, maybe, as it would probably be a lot easier, and cheaper, but as I'm not...

Don't think I could get the shop owner down to $500 equivalent anyway. too much of a drop.