Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That pile of photo mags in the corner...?

Eric Woodbury

That pile of photo mags in the corner...?

I don't know where to put this thread, but I don't know that it matters much.

I've got a couple of decades of photo mags in the corner of my studio. I used to scrape through them and look up tidbits, but anymore, I look everything up on the net. The one mag I still get is mostly digital and I'm mostly analog, so anymore I can read them and pass them on in a few minutes.

Question is, what to do with all that dead weight? Do you keep those hundreds of mags around to impress your friends, flatten prints, fill the corner, or do you cut them loose and not look back?

Thanks my friends.

E
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

funkadelic

Re: That pile of photo mags in the corner...?

Some folks have been selling collections/series.. like View Camera from year X to year Y.
    I recently bought a lens from a forum member here. Because he packed it in a flat rate box, he stuffed a bunch of old magazines in there since there was no additional cost to ship. As I get time in the coming weeks, I look forward to reading through them.

Eric---I too have a large collection of mags dating back to the mid 7o's---PDN, Camera Arts, American Photo, later View Camera & other stuff.

One of these days, I would like to go through what I have & rip out specific material I could use in a classroom re: photography, the History of Photo, photographers of note, etc etc----I used to be a teacher, and I have given thought about getting back into the classroom--------however, that would depend on the present day administrators thinking that I would be an asset in the classroom again---I would not be interested in teaching "how to shoot---how to develop, not PS, but in the "Aethetics & History of Photography". Articles relating to such is what I would look for & keep.

The other thought I had re: my old periodicals is to donate them to the hospital, local library, the elder hospice house, or such.

Raymond---in the Vail Valley, Colo

Garden compost. The acid (SO2) in mags and periodicals helps reduce the alkalinity of the soil in my garden at the edge of the Balcones plateau so they get composted with leaves and other organic debris. For me about 1/2 ton per year.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Except of the first issue I loaned out and never got back, and two issues I never got due to letting my subscription run out, I have all the ViewCamera mags on a shelf. I grab one when I head into the john.

it is the only photo mag I have ever bought.

I have sold several hundred "old" magazines through this forum. The early bunch was from the 70"s and sold immediately. They may have been of more interest to the gelatin silver crowd, and were far superior to anything I am aware of recently along those lines. I will be offering another bunch up soon, probably more of View Camera, Camera Arts, Emulsion, Lenswork and Photovision. They all served me well, but my studio space is limited.

Consulting the pineal gland

Please don't compost them, I would love to have a pile of old magazines in my corner. Almost any of the magazines mentioned in this thread are at least worth the shipping and a couple beer's for a box of them.

If you stack them correctly and put a heavy glass on top, you can make a coffee table out of 'em.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You can always us them as decoration and/or insulation.

http://www.theseamericans.org/?p=1383

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

multiplex

libraries and schools love donations ...
    i just gave away 3 years worth of vc magazine for the price of the shipping.
    (someone responded to my advert in less than 60 seconds) . ...
    a few weeks before we gave 2+ full van loads of stuff to goodwill ...

lots of options if you want to get rid of stuff