Thread: Cooke 945 for 57 and/or 810

Cooke 945 for 57 and/or 810

Anybody using a 945 with 57 or 810? Would love to hear your experiences. Thanks!!

Re: Cooke 945 for 57 and/or 810

It's image circle is only 190 at infinity.

http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf...rgeformat.html
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

But a lot of photography with this lens is not at infinity. I tried portraits on a whole plate camera-slight vignetting but I found the focal length too short for my taste. I've used mine primarily for head and shoulder shots and the 229 is very nice for 4x5.

John, yes that is exactly my point - I know Jack Flesher did use his on a 810.

Robert,

I don't have any image scanned (they were tests and they are packed away somewhere) but I shot at f/8 (I found that was where I liked the sharpness/softness best on my 4x5). I image if stopped down you could easily cover WP since my vignetting was pretty slight and even get near 8x10. 5x7 isn't an issue with coverage at portrait distances. Did you find one for sale? Mine's lucky number 13. LOVE the quality of the images. This is one of my 'til death lenses.

John, I just ordered one from Jeff at Badger - Cooke is shipping the new 945's now.

Darr on this forum has some fantastic images posted using this lens.

I understand that there is a learning curve for successful shooting with this glass.

Thanks for your input John!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fisher View Post
    John, I just ordered one from Jeff at Badger - Cooke is shipping the new 945's now.

Darr on this forum has some fantastic images posted using this lens.

I understand that there is a learning curve for successful shooting with this glass.

Thanks for your input John!
    Robert,
    Please keep us updated about your experience with this lens.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I image if stopped down you could easily cover...
    Stopping down a portrait lens??? SACRILEGE, I say!!! Burn him at the stake!

The PS945 might be a nice lens for soft close-ups such as still-lifes, but that would be about the extent of its use on a whole plate or larger, I suspect. I've used my 8.75" (222mm) Verito for such with nice results.

I've never heard of one being used as a convertible for a longer focal length... Is this a possibility? Quick, one of you owners of this delightful imp pull that cell element off! It's a pair of air-spaced doublets, so it should work!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Stopping down a portrait lens??? SACRILEGE, I say!!! Burn him at the stake!
    Now, now, I didn't say someone should do it. I photograph people at f/8 and still lifes wide open (or close to it).

I barely have enough bellows for infinity focus on my 4x5 to shoot it without the front group. I can't find my extension right now. Plus I really should be grading my students' work. However, I will do it and post when I do. If I remember correctly, the ground glass image had like the very soft imagon type of look that I'm not that crazy about.

BTW Mark, have you been able to get the camera stand working?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Now, now, I didn't say someone should do it. I photograph people at f/8 and still lifes wide open (or close to it).

I barely have enough bellows for infinity focus on my 4x5 to shoot it without the front group. I can't find my extension right now. Plus I really should be grading my students' work. However, I will do it and post when I do. If I remember correctly, the ground glass image had like the very soft imagon type of look that I'm not that crazy about.

BTW Mark, have you been able to get the camera stand working?
    Well, I guess we can let it slide this time, John...

It just occured to me as I was reading the thread that quite a few lenses are convertible, and especially so with the soft lenses. But I've never heard of the PS945 being used that way. I'd love to put one on an 8x10 without the front element, just to see. If it's overly soft, perhaps stopping it down a bit would bring it back under control, but then you'd have more depth of field than is customary for a portrait lens, but perhaps it would be just right for something else...

The stand is working great! I refinished it and fabricated a couple of parts, and it's supporting a Century 4 8x10 at the high school. I'll post a couple of recent portraits over in the "November Portraits" thread.

(Note: John donated a Semi-Centennial Stand to my high school over the summer. Thanks, John! It is much appreciated and is being put to good use!)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."