Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repairing a Linhof 5x7

Re: Repairing a Linhof 5x7

I just want to thank Bob Salomon for referring me to Mike Boylan at Blazes Photo in Toronto. Blazes has the necessary parts - knob and shaft assembly, plus casing, both new - and can do the repair/replacement. That's good news. Thanks especially to Mike Boylan for responding so quickly. Mike took my call immediately and sent me an e-mail, within a few hours of receiving a photo from me showing the problem, confirming that he can fix this, and at a cost that I consider reasonable.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I recently inquired to Linos about Rodenstock aperture scales and Mike Boylan contacted me... it's good to have someone on our side in Canada

An update...

On Friday, October 30th, I sent the part from rural Newfoundland to Mike Boylan in Toronto for repair. Today, one of his colleagues at his company, Blazes Photographic, sent me an e-mail saying that the repair has been done and that the part is on its way back to me. The bill was well within the estimate.

I should add that Martin from Marflex, to whom I had also sent an e-mail on October 29th, phoned me on October 30th to say that he did not have the particular parts that would be needed, but that Mike Boylan, with whom he had been in contact, did. I am quite impressed that Marflex went to that effort.

Linhof seems to be well-represented on this continent.

I should perhaps mention one other thing. Linhof, on its web site, says that parts for this camera are not available. While that may generally be true, it looks like it is not completely hard and fast. The repair that Blazes has done has been done with new-in-box parts. It looks to me like the various repairers, even for old Linhofs, may have bits here and bits there, and that they talk to one-another - a good thing for those who use Linhof cameras.

If only the insurance claim process with SwissPost were as efficient
    Last edited by r.e.; 10-Nov-2009 at 18:12.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I can vouch too for Mike at Blazes! He was super helpful when I was looking for a part for the Linhof Kardan ST-E I just from Frank on this forum. My parts are on their way, were very well priced, and they did not charge me shipping. All that on top of the impeccable service I received, I will certainly be contacting them with any future Linhof related problems I have.

Top notch Canadian dealer.