Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing a Linhof 5x7

Repairing a Linhof 5x7

I am going to be in New York in the next couple of weeks and I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me where I can get some repair work done on a Linhof Karden Bi 5x7. As I understand it, HP Marketing handles Linhof. Should I contact them or someone else?

This is the problem, in case anyone has a suggestion. I received the camera today by post from Switzerland (the seller is a member of this forum from Germany, principally as a vendor) and there is some damage to the rear standard focusing knob. The camera, instead of being packed in styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap, was packed in crumpled newspaper, and it looks like the knob took a knock in transit. See the attached photo. Basically, the knob is bent and the shaft of the knob has split the casing. The knob will turn, but in a circle, not on its axis.

I'm currently involved in an e-mail exchange with the vendor, who is having trouble with the idea that he has an obligation to deliver the camera in the condition in which he sold it and that he is the one who has to make an insurance claim with Swiss Post, with whom he contracted for the delivery. So far, he isn't even prepared to phone Linhof Germany, which happens to be in the same country in which he is located, to get a repair quote/find out whether they have the relevant parts.

In the meantime, I have plans to go to New York and I'd like to find out if there is someone there who can fix this. I'd like to think that this is fairly easy to correct, because otherwise the camera is in great shape. I'd much rather just get this repaired than get into a discussion about returning the camera, etc.

Thanks.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Re: Repairing a Linhof 5x7

That sucks, sorry to hear that.
    You might try contacting Richard Ritter, he's a contributor here and based in Vermont.
    If you'll be driving from NL, it's somewhat on the way.
    His website: http://www.lg4mat.net/index.html
    I found that calling is much better than emailing.
    Good luck.

HP Marketing only handles Linhof sales. Repairs are done by Marflex in North Carolina:

Marflex Service Corp.
    117 Anchorage Drive
    US-Havelock, NC, 28532
    252 6524401
    Marflex@aol.com
    (From the Linhof web site, http://www.linhof.de/kontakt.html)

The Bi, which was a great camera, is over 40 years old. Parts may no longer be available, check with Marflex. However, Kardan Bi parts show up on the German ebay in regular intervals.

Blazes in Toronto is the Canadian Linhof distributor. Have you checked with Mike there?

Hi Bob,

I was hoping that you might surface. I divide my time between rural Newfoundland, way out here in the North Atlantic, and New York, so the latter is more convenient than Toronto. Indeed, it's closer, about two and a half hours in one of Continental's smaller planes

Do you know what is involved in fixing this, maybe someone in NY/NJ who could do the job? Is it a simple machinist's job, or more complicated than that? Basically, I think that the shaft needs to be straightened or replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I'd like to think that this is fairly easy to correct, because otherwise the camera is in great shape.
    I don't think so, the repair-shop will need the spare parts: the, broken, bushing is pressed in the upper glider. Also you need the axis with the toothed wheel at the one end and the knob at the other end. Possible it's easier to exchange the whole focusing block.

Peter,

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks. The vendor has now agreed to initiate a claim with Swiss Post, so we are moving in the right direction.

Peter,

I gather that you are involved in the German large format forum. If I can ask, do you know of someone in Germany who can fix this and/or acquire a new block in good shape?

If I can ask, do you know of someone in Germany who can fix this and/or acquire a new block in good shape?
    The first one I would ask is Linhof in Munich. But sometimes repair services in other countries have certain spare parts no more aviable in the factory. So ask Marflex and Blazes if the spare parts are aviable. The other source has Arne mentioned before, German ebay.

Good luck

Peter

Hi Bob,

I was hoping that you might surface. I divide my time between rural Newfoundland, way out here in the North Atlantic, and New York, so the latter is more convenient than Toronto. Indeed, it's closer, about two and a half hours in one of Continental's smaller planes

Do you know what is involved in fixing this, maybe someone in NY/NJ who could do the job? Is it a simple machinist's job, or more complicated than that? Basically, I think that the shaft needs to be straightened or replaced.
    Only Marflex.