Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bright screen for Technikardan 45S

Re: Bright screen for Technikardan 45S

I don't think there's anything peculiar to the Technikardan in terms of brightness, ease of focus, etc. when it comes to viewing screens, at least there wasn't to the Technikardan I used to own. There's been a huge number of threads here about viewing screens in general, you might want to take a look at some of them if you haven't already.

FWIW, I switched from the viewing screen that came with my Technikardan (a Linhof plain ground glass screen, much older than 10 years now) to a BosScreen and the improvement was huge. I never had the wax issue others have mentioned with it. I also had a Beattie screen on my Master Technika and didn't care for it, I replaced it with a Maxwell which I thought was a significant improvement. I've owed other kinds of screens on other cameras, e.g. the OE Fresnels on Tachiharas, Ebonys, Chamonix, and Shen Hao. I thought the Maxwell screen was the best of the bunch, followed by the BosScreen. However, it's my understanding that BosScreens are no longer made. I never used a Linhof Fresnel.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have a TK45S and used a bosscreen for a while. It was undoubtedly a lot brighter. But brightness isn't everything. It is the ability to focus accurately and I found the bosscreen difficult to assess focus. The original Linhof GG screen seems to snap in or out of focus much more easily. The grain in a GG does this. Remove the grain as in bosscreen and whilst it is lighter you really must use a loupe to see when it is focussed.
    A fresnel on the other hand, is designed to focus light to a point which is not on the GG. So while it will make the whole screen look brighter from a distance it can make focussing with a loupe tricky because on a TK it sits on the viewing side of of GG. It really comes into its own with the reflex viewer where it focusses the whole GG into the eyepiece of the viewer which has 2x magnification. And with the original Linhof GG things just seem to snap in or out of focus. I rarely use a loupe for fine focus with this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    I have a TK45S and used a bosscreen for a while. It was undoubtedly a lot brighter. But brightness isn't everything. It is the ability to focus accurately and I found the bosscreen difficult to assess focus. The original Linhof GG screen seems to snap in or out of focus much more easily. The grain in a GG does this. Remove the grain as in bosscreen and whilst it is lighter you really must use a loupe to see when it is focussed.
    A fresnel on the other hand, is designed to focus light to a point which is not on the GG. So while it will make the whole screen look brighter from a distance it can make focussing with a loupe tricky because on a TK it sits on the viewing side of of GG. It really comes into its own with the reflex viewer where it focusses the whole GG into the eyepiece of the viewer which has 2x magnification. And with the original Linhof GG things just seem to snap in or out of focus. I rarely use a loupe for fine focus with this setup.
    The instructions for use with both the Linhof Right Angle Viewer and the Linhof Focus/Metering bellows both require a fresnel.

Focusing with a good fresnel is very easy with a good loupe as you focus the eyepiece of the loupe on the grain of the ground glass. Not just place the loupe on the fresnel. Once you have focused the loupe on the grain of the gg things will still snap in and out of focus.

The Linhof gg and fresnel will make focusing easier with wide and extreme wide angles. Frequently with wide and extreme wides with enhanced brightness screens it becomes tricky to focus these lenses, even with a good focusing loupe.