Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Final check before making the leap

Final check before making the leap

Sorry this is long. If you want to, just skip down to the bullet point questions.

I'm going to make the leap into large format and see if I like it. I figure at worst, I won't and I won't do it that much later on, and in the process I will have learned something more about photography. But, I doubt that. As I have moved up (quickly) from DSLR to 35mm film to medium format (several different camera types), I've had more fun each time and use them all still; though medium format has so far been the most fun. I shoot several times a week, despite a busy schedule otherwise.

As I live in NYC, I think going 8x10 might be too much (though I am tempted because of some of the shots I've seen with it). I have read here and in other places it takes a lot to cart 8x10 around. So, I am thinking 4x5 with regular sheet film, fuji instant films for checking shots and learning and possibly a panoramic 120 back, as I am already invested in 120 anyway.

I plan on shooting things that don't move: urban and rural landscapes both broad and close up, some still life indoors, some architecture (maybe architectural features rather than whole buildings), maybe an environmental portrait or two, etc. I have my Hasselblad and 150mm that covers portraits nicely, so up-close portraits are not something I'd need to do in 4x5 right away. I will shoot in color and b&w and develop at a local lab (for now even for b&w) here in NYC.

Right now I am leaning towards new equipment. I've bought all my other film camera equipment used, and I'd really like to have something new that I can maintain to my own standards. So, I'm considering the Shen Hao HZX-45IIA with a Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 150mm/5.6. I already have a Rodenstock focusing loupe, a Sekonic 758DR and and Epson V750 scanner. I'm planning on buying from Badger Graphics.

So, a couple questions if someone will be so kind...

- Who should I talk to at Badger?

- Will the 6x17 roll film back work well with this lens? Or will I need something with a bigger IC?

- I'm not into splitting hairs, but would like a final check that this would be a fantastic beginner setup... or not... or if there are any gotchas with these choices that won't work out or that I might regret after I know more in three months of use?

Thanks in advance. I've loved reading this forum so far, and I must say it is one of the most civil and gracious message boards of any I've ever visited on any subject matter.

John

Re: Final check before making the leap

If it's not too late, a jogging stroller makes fast work of moving a lot of gear. Even 8x10. I have a friend who uses one for a big metal case full of RB67 gear, tripod, etc.

Good luck! Show us the photos.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    If it's not too late, a jogging stroller makes fast work of moving a lot of gear. Even 8x10. I have a friend who uses one for a big metal case full of RB67 gear, tripod, etc.

Good luck! Show us the photos.
    Funny idea. Forgot to add I will be traveling with this also!

I do not think that back is going to fit on your camera, so the lens coverage is a secondary issue. You are probably going to need a 5x7 camera for that back. If you want a lens to use with the 6x17, pick a slightly longer normal. 180mm is very nice. Not even that noticably longer on the GG, but plenty of extra IC for movements, and plenty for the 6x17.

Many folks around here use strollers. They go on planes too.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Octogenarian

Talk to Jeff at Badger.

A 6X17 roll film back will not fit a 4X5 camera. However, it will fit a 5X7 camera.

A 6X12 roll film back is probably the largest you can use for 4X5. The 150 will work okay for 6X12.

However, a 180 or 210 will give you more coverage, allowing greater movement capability.

1 lens and 1 camera is a good starting point.

haven't seen the shen hao but you might want to take a look a the chamonix before deciding. a few ny'ers have them and they may chime in.

it is not that hard to get around with lf gear. once you try a bigger lf format, the smaller ones seem even more portable. that said, 4x5 is versatile if you want to travel by air. i fit my entire 4x5 kit with tripod , 5 lenses, quickload holder, and plenty of film in a medium sized backpack that i carry on the plane.

This is the Shen Hao 6x17 roll back for 4x5 I was talking about.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/...t_detail&p=123

I have only purchased one lens new, and I can't tell it apart from my other gear. Most of the LF gear I have encountered has been very well cared for.

Used gear now is a bargain; it gives you the option to try and sell without a loss if you find you prefer another focal length etc.

By the way, I find it a little freaky that 2 of the 3 people who have replied to me thus far are from Texas, which is where I am from originally.