Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Architecture/lanscape Camera to go with Nikkor 90mm f4.5

Architecture/lanscape Camera to go with Nikkor 90mm f4.5

Hello all,

I would love to hear any recommendations for a 4x5 camera for architecture and landscape. I want to use a 90mm mainly and maybe a 120, 150 also.

I do landscape photography for fun, an architectural photography for money. So far I have been using a Cambo Wide system, which I like very much but I would like another set-up that has more flexibility. The 90mm has a large image circle, so I would need a camera that could take full advantage of this, with plenty of rise for architecture especially.

I would like a camera that is quick to set up, as my Cambo wide is excellent in that respect. Also it would be very nice if the camera is lightweight, as I would like to be able to take it on treks etc.

My budget would be maybe $1500 although a bit more or less is probably OK, second hand is fine.

Do any such cameras exit? Perhaps I need a monorail for architecture and a lightweight field camera for landscape.

The Arca Swiss f-line system would seem to be a good one, and I can get an ebony RSW for a reasonable price. The AS seems to have all the movements, but the ebony would seem to be a better bet for portability. I am not sure it has enough rise to fully use the 90mm lens though.

I would love to hear recommendations or any advice.

Re: Architecture/lanscape Camera to go with Nikkor 90mm f4.5

Technikardan

A Canham DLC is light, folds up nicely and has plenty of movements. There have been a couple listed here for less than your budget. I've used a 65mm lens with the standard bellows so no problem with a 90.

Second hand Ebony SW45: very light, sets up almost instantaneously (non-folding) and takes the lenses you mention. It is also beautiful.

Claes Uhnér

Since you do architecture for money I also suggest that you buy a monorail camera. Most of these are easy to work with, allow for movements larger than the image circle your lens can provide, and they can be transported fully assembled in a case.

In regards to landscape photography – monorail cameras are generally a bit bulky. That said; several are not that heavy and I have no problem going on long hikes in the backcountry with a Sinar Norma.

A field camera would probably be enough for exterior architecture work, but for interiors you may want the monorail. I don't do much of this, so I can't say for sure, but I use a field camera and haven't run into problems with limited movements outside. You will likely not want a monorail to take on long hikes though. I'd add a 210, 240, or 250mm to your 90mm for landscapes. 90mm can be really wide, wider than you think.

Drew Wiley

Sinar F with a bag bellows

Shen Hao and Chamonix are the two low cost wood field cameras. shen hao has world wide distribution and Chamonix is a special order. Both offer excellent results and are priced around US$700. I have used a Shen Hao for three years and also have a Cambo SC view camera. I always use the Shen Hao and have no problems with it. You almost never see these come up on e bay or in the USA on Criags List for sale.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

3d Visual Effects artist

a regular cambo SC-II monorail with a short rail and bag bellow would do nice, and quite a bit cheaper than your budget (allowing even more money for your next lens!). You can find Cambo SC-II's for $200 or less, a rail and bag bellow for probably another $100 or so. I use a 90mm on the Cambo (with bag bellow), it works pretty good. I don't have a short rail (yet) but even with the long rail it works pretty good.

I'm not sure what you would gain by going to a more expensive monorail, probably a better feel to the controls and maybe a bit more precision? I've not had any problems with the Cambo though, it's cheap, I've mounted some heavy lenses on it no problems, and it works great!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Technikardan
    I should have added, if you are going to do architechture, the shortest lens useable on the TK, with the wide angle bellows and a recessed board, is a 35mm.