Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson v750 + Software package

Epson v750 + Software package

I would like to buy an epson v700/ v750 mainly for 6x6 and 4x5" film.
    I found two different sets (europe) :

1. Epson Perfection V750 Pro + Silverfast AI Studio - 839€
    2. Epson Perfection V700 + SilverFast Archive Suite SE -700€

What would you buy?
    I heard that there is not much difference between v700 & v750. But what about the software?- Is Silverfast AI Studio worth the extra money? I think Silverfast Archive Suite SE also does multiexposure?!

Re: Epson v750 + Software package

Mark,

I think SilverFast AI Studio is definitely worth the extra money. But that's me. I love it compared to the other scanning software suites out there - but that's probably because SilverFast is what I was trained on so I'm more comfortable with it. If you shoot color, you can use IT8 targets to calibrate your scanner very quickly in SilverFast. It also comes with Monaco's color calibration software. The Monaco color cal software has helped me create far more accurate (Than the ones I get from the manufacturer) paper calibrations, too. I couldn't get good color prints I was happy with on Museo Silver Rag until I got the v750. I think multi-exposure is limited to Studio, but you'll have to look at the LaserSoft site for that info. On a side note, if you search the forum I'm sure you'll find quite a few reasons for and against getting the 700 or 750 based on the software. Best of luck!

-Brian

Can someone who scans with the V750 tell what size the files are? I couldn't find this info anywhere. For example, how big a 6x6 MF B&W negative, scanned with 16 bit will be?

I've recently purchased a v700. Silverfast doesn't yet work with windows7 as they are waiting for the product to come out before they begin testing. I've been using the RC of windows7 for quite a while successfully.

I bought it for scanning 4x5 and 35mm B&W. It seems to do great at that; better than any consumer scanner I've yet tried, and better than the nikon coolscan 2000 I had before that. I haven't compared to drum scans, but I've read plenty about that here. I mostly want it to scan things for online use and for my epson 7600, meaning 2' or less in size printed.

As far as scan file sizes; as big as you want basically, depending on how much you crank up the resolution. What resolution to use depends on the intended use and enlargement of the file.

Yes you can crank up the V700 to 6400ppi uninterpolated but I find much over 3200 doesn't yield any more data, just chews up your time and HD space. Like the previous poster I find the V700 to be superior to the Nikon LS2000. The bang for the buck on this scanner is very high.
    As for software, I use the Epson software, with this software only the professional section (divided into Home, Auto, Professional). I turn off all the automatic setting I can, and scan as manually as I can and this works well. When i bought the scanner I was told that the bundled Silverscan software was no better than the Epson software so I never installed it, I could get an upgrade to the full version of Silverscan for $200, was getting good scans with the Epson so I never upgraded.
    I have gotten very good b&w neg scans with this scanner. Color is not bad either, beats the LS2000 in dynamic range hands down. How it compares with an LS5000 has been covered on the internet, but the LS5000 can't do medium or large format. drum scanning is a whole other level that I would like to learn.

Tom

I never liked Silverscan enough to pay for the upgrade, plus it was not very stable for me.

EpsonScan, plus learning how to color correct in PS, will do you a world of good.

EpsonScan doesn't have the multiscan features among many others that provide you with so much more detail that SilverFast does. EpsonScan is good for the most part, but SilverFast can do so much more if you really get dirty with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_A View Post
    EpsonScan doesn't have the multiscan features among many others that provide you with so much more detail that SilverFast does. EpsonScan is good for the most part, but SilverFast can do so much more if you really get dirty with it.
    I'm not sure you'd see any benefit of multi-pass scanning using a flatbed scanner. The tolerance of their stepping motors is typically loser than that needed for multi-pass. In fact, you would be at least as likely to get fuzzier results due to the rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    I'm not sure you'd see any benefit of multi-pass scanning using a flatbed scanner. The tolerance of their stepping motors is typically loser than that needed for multi-pass. In fact, you would be at least as likely to get fuzzier results due to the rattle.
    Have you tried it? I've seen positive differences with mine.

Depends:
    For Color
    At 6x6 2400 DPI thats 144 MB, at 12800 DPI thats 4GB.

16 Bit Grey scale at 6x6 and 12800 DPI yields a 1.33GB File.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeber View Post
    Can someone who scans with the V750 tell what size the files are? I couldn't find this info anywhere. For example, how big a 6x6 MF B&W negative, scanned with 16 bit will be?