Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a monorail

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Traveling with a monorail

I'm going to be taking my first trip with my monorail in a few weeks and am at a bit of a loss. I'm heading down to the Southwest US (Nevada, S. CA, Arizona, an d New Mexico) for a rather quick tour with some friends. My questions have to do with my best options for carrying the camera as well as film. I have researched extensively but still have some remaining questions.

I have an Arca-Swiss Discovery and have already accepted the fact that the camer a will NOT be able to go on the plane with me but will have to be checked. I hav e a non-photo backpack that I use when traveling by car and am wondering if putt ing that into a Pelican case will work if all lenses, meter, groundglass, etc ar e wrapped in neoprene wraps? My concern is that by not using a genuine photo cas e/backpack where everything is well-padded, that something will get damaged; but on the other hand it seems to me that most of this stuff is fairly sturdy. I wo uld stuff the empty spaces between the hard case and the backpack with clothes o r foam. Am I just being paranoid? I do want to have a backpack once I get there so I can comfortably walk a bit so simply using a padded case is not an option.

My second question deals with film. How much? I know this is a highly subjective question, but I really don't know. With my 35mm I usually guess what I'm going to take (assume 2-3 rolls/day) and then increase by 50%. That method has worked well for me over the years. I have 10 film holders for my B&W and a Fuji Quicklo ad for my Provia. I was simply going to assume one full set of holders/day and t hen probably half as many sheets of Provia. I am admittedly film-happy and will be experimenting a lot with filters in B&W.

I suspect that I have answered my own questions in my post, but would really lik e some additional opinions.

Thanks!

jenn - i would not recommend checking your camera. find a good carry- on rollabout, break your camera down as far as you can, and pack it int there and carry it on with you. i have already done this a couple of times since 9-11 and it has not been a problem. for film and holders, you may want to try the kodak readyload system - it is a lightweight and convenient way to carry lots of film. i carry about 100-200 negs on my day trips for habs/haer work. i could never do that with regular film holders.

Jennifer:

I carry my Arca-Swiss on board all the time... it will fit in most carryon luggage. You could check lenses since they are pretty easy to wrap up in bubble wrap and/or styrofoam.

Have you considered buying film along the way. You can order from mail order shops if you are going to be at or near a delivery address for a day, or there are good large format suppliers in Phoenix, LA and Albuquerque.

Edward Weston was also a nudist and liked to dress up in Tina Modotti's clothes. Are those also good precedents to follow? Should one also suffer from Parkinson's as well in order to make a name for ones self?

Glenn, can you suggest some LF suppliers on Phoenix and Albuquerque? Knowing I'll have 2 possible places to refill will help. Thanks!

In New mexico you might want to contact the Santa Fe Workshops and see what they recommend if they don't carry it at the workshop stores: http://www.santafeworkshops.com

Jennifer,

I backpacked with my Arca-Swiss Discovery to the Philippines in January along with other cameras. The way I packed mine was to separate the standards from the carrier and leaving the carriers on the rail. This leaves you with two packable pieces. The sandards/bellow/lens can be wrapped in a large lens wrap (Calumet 18".) The carriers and rail wrapped in another one. Any other lenses/boards can be wrapped individually also. I just packed them between some clothes in my backpack and check it in as luggage with no problems.

As for holders, I took just two and a changing bag. Although now I would probably take my Polaroid back and a bunch of Readyloads/Quickloads (Tmax now available also.)

Allan

Jennifer - Your best bet here in Albuquerque for supplies is Camera and Darkroom (3225 Central Ave. NE; 505-255-1133) (this is a new location for them - they moved a few blocks this fall). They also have a shop in Santa Fe. They don't have real extensive large format inventory, but should have most films. It certainly wouldn't hurt to call ahead to check on stock/availability.

If you want to get some processing done here in town - my experience is with E-6...Carl's Darkroom and Camera Graphics seem to be the most widely used by pros.

Enjoy...Bill

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone. It seems that I may be able to do this without purchasing anything other than film (which is the right answer in the throes of the holiday season). Ellis, I will definitely stop in at PhotoMark.

-Jen

In addition to the other shops mentioned, Camera Graphics Lab in Albuquerque is both a Fuji Professional film dealer and a Fuji Labnet member. Their prices on Fuji Quickloads were very good.