Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chucking it and going to DSLR?

Chucking it and going to DSLR?

Not sure if it is my mood, but suddenly today I started thinking about giving up the 4x5 and buying a DSLR.

So - if you we're to switch to DSLR, what camera would you buy and why?

I shoot mainly landscapes, flora, and am interested in large wall prints up to 16x20.

You can talk me off the ledge if you like!

Re: Chucking it and going to DSLR?

Awe damn... another one bites the dust.

Just kidding!! It's really all about what you want to do with your work. I personally want to make huge prints so no digital solution can compete with big analog film. However, if making a statement without the desire or need to make huge prints then I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Not sure if it is my mood, but suddenly today I started thinking about giving up the 4x5 and buying a DSLR.

I shoot mainly landscapes, flora, and am interested in large wall prints up to 16x20.

It is a nice day .... many Lemmings have gone before you. I never was much of a hand holder.

In the spring of 2008 I bought a 4X5, in September 2009 I bought an 8X10. I have 2 DSLRs and rarely use either of them. Digital no longer does it for me. But that is what works for me.

If you but a DSLR, buy one that has enough quality and resolution for you to get what you need from it.

No matter what you get, in between the time you order it and its arrival, a new model will come out that's better

I've almost always shot LF - mostly 5x7 and 4x5. In the past I used to cram my Toyo 4x5 into my sea kayak when paddling on the west coast. As much as I love LF it was way too much of a pain in the ass, so this past year I started taking my Canon 5DII instead. I have to admit I'm getting more shots that I'm happy with mainly because its less gear to haul around and much quicker to use. I'm not 100% happy with the resolution of the lenses though. My main lens is a 24-70 zoom which I use a lot for work, but it does not compare to a nice LF neg. For me, its a compromise, but the DSLR has allowed me to be more productive in my shooting in these circumstances.

But when I'm not kayaking, it LF all the way!!

Why does it have to be an either-or proposition?

Why not get a DSLR and keep a 4x5? Try it out, shoot both for some time and see if one gets consistently left behind. 16x20 is not a problem with latest DSLRs, but they will have different character. So shoot both for a while and make up your mind. Then sell one or keep both.

Were you in to making really big, quality enlargements? If not, who cares which way you go? It will not matter. If you were into fine art big enlargements you will regret going digitial, especially for black and white.

Once I went from an 8x10 to a Nikon D70 for a season and I spent the difference on travel and shooting. So the D70 made a lot better photos than the 8x10. Do what makes you happy but consider that great photos of your experiences can be photographed with any camera, it's not the price or resolution that matters.

I would never switch from a large format camera at this current climate, that is to do "landscapes". Canon and Nikon would have to do something drastic in terms of price to get me to buy another DSLR camera and it would have to be at least 24 megapixels. Lenses however I am always considering.

I have been shooting LF for about 22 years. I have been shooting digital for 5 now. Currently I have a ten megapixel D200. Although I have some great shots from the digital I don't like them at 11x14 or larger (that's me the grain sniffer). Most are made with mid range lenses. I do have a used 300mm 2.8 It cost me $$$$ You will be buying expensive lenses if you want to come close to a MF type resolution. You may be happy with the color rendering which I admit can be good...but for now using a good 4x5 lens you can't touch 4x5 and its resolution.

If you just want to travel and take small imagery a DSLr is great or if resloution is not a big factor.

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post