Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Favourite Web Sites Showing CONTEMPORARY CREATIVE Large Format Photography?

What Are Your Favourite Web Sites Showing CONTEMPORARY CREATIVE Large Format Photography?

Following on from my earlier question "Does large format inhibit your creativity " I would be grateful if you could share with me your favourite web sites showin g CONTEMPORARY CREATIVE photography taken on large format equipment.

It would seem that it does indeed exist but is not that easy to find. I am parti cually interested in photographers personal work.

Many thanks

Keith

What Are Your Favourite Web Sites Showing CONTEMPORARY CREATIVE Large Format Photography?

Keith,

Forget the WWW and go down to your local library or bookshop and browse. You will find things you like, things that resonate with YOU. Books have a tendency to draw you to them once you're amongst them ... and monographs are where portfolios are best viewed to be understood; where images can be seen presented in series, sequenced, sized and in volume. Most web sites present a highly edited capsule of an artist's output, usually to promote a show or book.

Look for Bernd & Hilla Becher, Andreas Gursky, Lewis Baltz, Gabriele Basilico, Kenro Izu, Richard Avedon, Sally Mann, Jock Stuges, Joel Sternfeld, Joel Meyerowitz, Irving Penn, Arnold Newman, Albert Renger-Patzsch, Paul Caponigro, Lois Conner, Horst Hamann and Wright Morris to name a few ... and leave out the chestnuts of Adams, Weston, Strand, Stieglitz, Evans. Some of these photographers are contemporary and some are passed. All are creative in their own with subjects ranging from child nudes to brick walls.

Walter Glover

Unfortunately large format is a minority sport in the UK and bookshops tend not to stock anything other than Adams!

Senior for sure

If you have the time and inclination, you might contact off the list some of the list members who are reasonably accessible to you to see if they are willing to spend a day or so with you out doing/talking/looking LF. My gut tells me you are standing neck deep in LF Contemporary Creative Photography right here.

I did an online search for 'CONTEMPORARY CREATIVE large format photography' and got mostly hits concerning college courses. If you're looking for ideas, then th is link will probably provide plenty of possibilities:

http://wwar.com/categories/Online_Exhibitions/Medium/Photography/Color/

Woops, didn't tunnel down deep enough on the link. Here's the section on Large F ormat photographers:

http://wwar.com/categories/Online_Exhibitions/Medium/Photography/Format/Large_Fo rmat/

"Unfortunately large format is a minority sport in the UK and bookshops tend not to stock anything other than Adams!"

If you are near London, go to the bookshop at the Tate Modern - great photography section, + some real Gruskys and Struths hanging on the walls... (love people in a gallery looking at Struths pictures of people looking at pictures in a Gallery... especially as they are hung by the elevators! Got some nive shots of that...)

tim a
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

"It is of course a minority the LF girls and boys but a fine one if I look at the trash from 35mm and some digiworkers and sometimes they call it art! Its just my a point of view!"...

wow - the pompous LF photographer didn't die out with the death of the pictorialist movement...? Who would have known it :-)

You mean some of those people like Eggleston or Cindy Sherman or Ralph Gibson (ok to some art), Nan Goldin and many others. More "art" in all that than in 1000 cubic feet of endless Azo contact prints of LF rocks, rivers and trees. It certainly isn't the format that makes for "art". There is plenty of LF dross to prove that point!

Tim A
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Keith,

Whilst in the UK I purchased a number of books of this genre in the bookshop of the V&A and Royal Photographic Society. There was also a bookshop in Notting Hill gate that had a reasonable variety.

May require a bit of travelling about but could be well worth it.

Cheers ... Walter Glover

i am rather fond of this website