Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

I would like to see more articles about the specific aspects of the technique used by well experienced LF photographers,a "how I do it" type of article. I would like to see more european photographers featured,there are some wonderful people outside the US and their experience and take on LF photography would be of interest to me.

Steve:

Thanks for asking.

Please continue to do articles about digital. It?s the future of photography, without a doubt. There may be other sources for information about digital, but the revolution that we?re witnessing deserves to be reported from many different viewpoints, especially the ones that VC can provide.

For instance, an article could profile a great digital practitioner, his or her techniques, how those techniques affect the final images, and of course, a portfolio of images.

Don?t exclude the perspectives of the working professionals (for digital or film.) For that matter, why make a distinction? All practitioners, commercial, amateur, fine arts, young and old, are gaining experiences that are worth sharing.

DW

As others have said before, I would like to see articles that are directed at the relative newcomer to LF. Realizing that you have probably done these types of articles in earlier years does nothing to help us new subscribers to your magazine. We are seeking out new ideas (to us the beginner), new or used equipment, and more importantly to learn from those that have gone before us.

I sometimes feel that as a "newbie" I first have to resolve what your articles are about from other means such as the web before actually digesting the content. As James Mickelson has pointed out there are excellent resources on the web and you might choose to be a focal point for many of these. At the present time I see your magazine in danger of becoming less appealing to new LF photographers like others and myself.

Earlier you stated that the readers have claimed that 51% of them are professionals. This is probably true and if you wish to reduce your present readership downwards towards the 51% marker then you will continue to cater to their needs. As for me, my first year subscription has just become due and I have just finished asking myself what value your magazine has provided me for my hard earned dollars? What else might I have done with that money towards increasing my enjoyment in LF?

I carefully reviewed the issues I received and compared their useful content to the web, other magazines I subscribe to, and books I have bought. The conclusion I came to is not in your favor. I am now on the fence in regards to renewal and truly am hoping that your magazine may become one of my premier choices in my selected area of interest, which is LF photography. Believe it or not I have just as much "disposable subscription money" as any professional but I am doing it for "the pure joy of it" which would seem to be a very strong driving force.

Crossing my fingers and hoping that your magazine changes to include us newcomers.

Regards,

I am pleased at so many responses. I will spend the next week or two going through them to see what common threads there are and how to achieve a balance in the case of competing interests (less digital vs digital is ok for example).

We are publishing an Article Index in the Jan/Feb 2002 issue covering all articles we've done between our first issue in 1988 through the Nov/Dec 2001 issue.

We plan to continue our coverage of the alternative processes, working in the darkroom, we will add more how-to info in each portfolio and do more how-to pieces, etc. We will also do more on table top photography including how-to kinds of articles.

steve simmons

steve simmons

Steve, thank you for asking this great community we have here. From the responses so far, you can see that View Camera has many supporters here. Here is my $.02

Here is what I would like to see in future VC issues: Printing articles from 'master' printers, ie John Sexton. Getting started in LF architecture: an insight to equipment needs and techniques. How about an article from an emerging amateur?

Since I am new to LF (May of this year), I am unaware of articles pre-2001. Can you publish a list of past issues that you might have sitting around gathering dust? I also like the idea of putting together a digital darkroom for under $1500. I know I might get flamed for that request, but I am at a crossroads for printing, since I don't own my own printing equipment yet.

Your workshop this past May was my first exposure to LF, and you were very approachable regarding beginner's questions. I have learned quite a bit from VC Magazine and this forum ever since. Please keep up the good work, and visit here often.

Andy Biggs

Stephen Vaughan

Dear Steve, hope you don't regret asking now!

My personal angle on this is from the point-of-view of a professional photographer (only occasionally get to use LF for professional work), most interested in the craft of large-format, 'fine-art' photography, for personal work. I have little interest in digital for LF.

The main reason I buy View Camera is for the articles on both big-name and lesser known photographers. Interviews, features etc. which get into the minds of the picture-makers, which talk not only about the technical and practical side of their work, but also about what compels them to make the work, the thought process, the philosophies behind the pictures. I can't believe people are so dismissive of John Paul Caponigro. Do they really want to read a magazine which talks only of technique or equipment, and not about the philosophical or spiritual process of making Art? I read and enjoy many of the articles on technique, but you could swap twenty of those articles for the feature on Sally Mann, or the interview with Richard Misrach, for example.

My only criticism, as an Englishman, is that the magzine has a very 'American' flavour. I'm interested, of course, in American photography. However, it would be great to see some work from the UK/Europe. There are some really great people working in large-format over here: Jem Southam, Thomas Joshua Cooper (American I know, but resident in Scotland), Thomas Struth, etc. etc.

Finally, I would very much like to see my own work in your magazi

Stephen Vaughan

Sorry.....in your magazine :-) !!

howcome the end of my sentences always cut short?

Who is Captain Ferricyanide? Perhaps he or another maven of Ferricyanide bleaching can offer some hands-on instruction in this process. I've been getting dark yellow stains on Ilford Multigrade paper when doing selective bleaching of dark black lines. Is this staining avoidable? Remediable? Thanks for asking.

You should continue your coverage of both traditional and digital processes. However, most import, you should rededicate yourselves to showing fine quality images, and not those of here today-gone tomorrow gallery promoted trendies who lack technique and vision or those of moderately accomplished amateurs who get published primarily because they are famous for other things. There are many lifelong, highly accomplished, professionals who need and deserve greater exposure. At the end of the day we all learn the most from seeing great photographs.

Here is what we are planning for the next few issues

an issue on portraiture in Jan/Feb 2002

an article comparing Azo with vc paper in Jan/Feb 02

an article index from 1989 through 2001 in the Jan/Feb issue

an article on color transparency films for outdoor work in jan/feb 2002

John Paul will continue to write as he has time. The reviews on him seem to be mixed but he does bring a context to his articles that no one else does

an article on using filters sometime in 2002 (for b&w)

an article on Thomas Joshua Cooper is in progress

an article on setting up the digital darkroom for less than $1500 sometime in 2002 (black and white and color)

an article on making the contact print and an issue showing photographers who only make contact prints - smetime in 2002

we are working on other ideas and reviewing all of your comments. Thanks

steve simmons