Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

Steve,

I think it would be useful for readers to have a profile each issue of a photographer covering topics like their photographic ideas, inspirations, techniques, perspectives and part of it could also be a small biography to show what's possible and what others are acheiving. I know there's only so much available space each issue so it would have to be brief but it would help intoduce different applications of imaging....small format...large format....digital etc. to others who may only be familiar with one format. It would be like how some of the interviews that have been down in your magazine but a monthly feature.

Thanks

Paul Doty

the 10 year old back issues i have i treasure because of the amount of solid info from real artists working in lf-commercial, fine art or what have you.

i don't subscribe because when i pick up an issue and see yet another exercise in velvia carnival color by yet another pretentious yuppie art pimp, or another pretentious article by the same pretentious yuppie art pimp who has been taking up entirely to much space in your otherwise wonderful magazine, i don't buy that issue.

the article on fuji lenses was a great service to all of us who in fact create art with lf cameras. your articles, steve are wonderfully informative and good reading. wisner's articles are also always great reading and instructive. ditto norman mcgraff. ditto cole weston, wimberly and so many others.

i think i would subscribe if you dump caponegro

i have to echo the comment about camera arts v view camera-but you could still dump caponegro

i think you should dump caponegro

hey steve-dump caponegro

Steve,

I'm a subscriber and I'm not so put off by the digital media. Here are my thoughts for articles.

1) I think someone mentioned above getting started for under $1000.

2) Building a mammoth camera. (a kind of how to article) My friend and I are in the process of doing just that and maybe there are others who have taken on such endeavours.

3) Making old view cameras better. I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who have an old Gundlach or Korona or 2D that have devised all sorts of ways to refine them.

4) How about an interview with the airlines about travelling with big camera gear and what we can do to make travel easy and painless.

5) How about the digital darkroom for under $1500. I love my Omega E4 but maybe I don't have the space.

6) Maybe a travelogue in the US for unusual or less travelled places. (I would expect readers may want to contribute here).

7) Speaking of, an article defining national and state park priveleges (sp) for photographers would be good.

8) OK, last one, How about a discussion with Kodak or Agfa about the future of LF products.

Thank you for the opportunity to contribute some ideas.

Sincerely,

The vast majority of View Camera issues are superbly laid out. I hope that you continue with this high level of performance. Am I in error to say that yours is the only magazine that includes portfolios and interviews of large format women photographers? Certainly your magazine deserves commendation for the even-handedness with which it features women photographers. I notice that several women responded to your question on this webpage, which is almost unheard of at this website. I like the fact that you do discuss the photographers attitudes and the problem solving required to take the images displayed in the magazine, and I hope this practice continues. You invariably do this when you write articles for the pubication. It is the interplay between image and text that made Ansel's books on photography so helpful. I am of the impression that your magazine is largely devoted to American photographers. It would be satisfying to me if more were disclosed about the portfolios and commentary of the European or Asia large format landscape photographers. If there was any area in which your magazine has a shortcoming, it would be the unimaginative, strike that, awful advertisements by a few of the equipment manufacturers, in obvious need of input from a graphic artist. Overall I am content with your magazine as is but see no copellig reason why should not experiment

i've been getting your mag for about 8 months or so. i'm not new to photography, but i am new to lf. there are so many things i want to know. equipment, lenses, (fuji item was great.) i really need some basic "how to" lf stuff as well as lf darkroom. and keep the inspiring bits, (personal work.. maxwell mackenzie ect.) as for digital... well its here to stay. its just not for me, and not what i expected when i subscribed. i didn't even read the articals. my interest is in the more conventional realm of lf.( 1/2 sec. @ f:16 w/ 3 degrees of tilt.) meat and potato stuff. my 2 cents. and thanks for asking. dee

Mr Simmons, I'm glad you finally ask.

Open it up to readers (show that you approachable), with a letters/questions to the editor section.

Improve the type and lay-out, it has always been a bit of a mish/mash.

Devote one issue per year to young LF photographers, the ones finishing their education: let them decide on the contents, have them edit the entire issue- with your gentle advice available to them if needed.

Make it easier for Canadians to subscribe, you sent me a faxno. that was of no use-I informed you but never received a reply.

Respectfully,

Howdy Mr. Simmons, I'm brand new in the large format arena with a omega view 45F and a toyo field AII, a few 'nice' lenses and lots of desire to learn. I bought my first issue at a local Barnes & Nobel bookstore in Dallas this past month and also really devoured the article on the fuji lenses. I would like to see some article helping/teaching all of us 'newbies' a new important aspect each issue. The pros can skip over that article if they are so smart that they can't learn something from it. I did also buy your book and will shortly start trying to absorb the information. I have just bought a book about 'Hollywood Glamor and portrait shots and how these were supposedly done including the retouching of the 8 by 10 negs. The book is very general and would like to see more specifics. The name of the book is: HOLLYWOOD PORTRAITS-CLASSIC SHOTS AND HOW TO TAKE THEM by roger hicks and christopher nisperos , photographs from kobal collection. lib of congress #00-103119; isbn #0-9174-4020-8. It covers the 'stars' and celebrities of the 1930's, the 40's and the 50's. Some of the photogs were Laszlo Willinger, Frank Powolny, Robert Coburn, Ashley-Shaw, John Engstead, C.S. Bull, George Hurrell to mention a few. I was telling a friend who shoots for universal studios about the shots that i admired from Hurrell and he suggested i look into getting a book on some work by Horst, which i don't know of yet. Just trying to emulate this type of work is a REAL joy in todays busy and crazy world. We should all feel blessed to have this passion and to be able to pursue these dreams, i mean just look around us right now. I'll be looking forward to the next articles concerning portraits and will purchase a subscription just because you evidently had the huevos to stick your neck out here in the 'flames' and are commited to your cause for a top notch issue each and every time. Portraits are not the only thing that interests me, a little landscape possibly floating down a river in my 17 foot canoe, tabletop product photography like cosmetics, food, jewelry, archetecture to name a few more interests. The platinum process as i know nothing of this (neewbie) but have stood at a display downtown for hours with my mouth hanging open. The TONALITY of the black and whites were undiscribeable. I'd like some real specifics as far as how to retouch the negs as some of the above mentioned photos used to do in the 30's , 40's... I'd like to see some specifics to setting up an affordable LF darkroom. I don't care what the photogs had for dinner but I'd like to know the mindset of them as they prepared to photograph some of the celebs of yesteryear, their preshoot planning, their lighting techniques and the reasons behind these. The films of choice and methods of processing are another interest. A final note, I WOULD BE WILLING TO ORDER A CD SET WITH ALL THE PAST ISSUES COMPLETE WITH SCANS for my personal library and enjoyment/learning. i'm going to pick up the copy that i bought last month and turn in my subscription now. Gracias! miles

Ooh....I like Hans' idea. I'm 19 and I know maybe one other college-level photographer who voluntarily shoots large format, so it would be really nice to see what other student and emerging photographers are doing in large format. Perhaps something of a similar idea to what PDN doesto showcase emerging photographers, but with people shooting with view cameras.

Steve,

How about an article about Jon Cone and a rundown on all the different papers, inks, software, and printer combinations he sells?
    John Hennessy

View Camera has had some excellent articles throughout the years. I could see it as value added to occassionally re-publish some of the gems of the past. In fact, having a whole issue on gems would be neat. That's an issue I would purchase.

I realize that some people may have saved older issues, and may already have some or these articles. At the same time, I'm sure that View Camera has many new subscribers in recent years, for whom these articles would also be new.