Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

Re: View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

Sorry about the subscription problem. When we are told about these problems we always fix them immediately.

steve simmons

I will check into your suggestion. Thanks

I'd like to see DIY articles on construction, repairs, recovering, making lens boards etc. Also a list of suppliers for specific parts. Many new entrants into LF photography usually buy older cameras which could use a bit of repair in some way or another and are looking to go the cheap DIY way. Example: Adjusting a Kalart. I'd also like to see a camera project(s) over a course of issues. Another thing I'd be interested in would be head to head comparisons of developers with specific films. Say D76 vs Xtol with a specific film. Also any articles on digital neg making is always interesting.

I admit to not having read every response posted here, so forgive me if someone else said it, but how about a "Classic Column" feature? Run one or two features from the past. I have picked up some old issues and found some gems of articles, and I am sure there are many that do not need to be rewritten, but rather just republished and reread. I think View Camera has probably amassed a great repository of knowledge, much from persons that may never contribute again. Unfortunately, many in LF have passed, and their legacy is what they left us, images and words (and wisdom).

Maybe even start publishing the classics on the web to draw persons there too?

BTW, I like View Camera. There is probably one issue a year that in my opinion is a dud, but that's pretty good batting if you ask me. Thanks for publishing, Steve.

we did a digital neg making article in the Nov/Dec 06 issue

thanks for the suggestions

steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    we did a digital neg making article in the Nov/Dec 06 issue

thanks for the suggestions

steve
    How about no digital, none of the time? Well, you asked.

How about an article on the pros and cons of ULF, with some views of folks who have decided not to use the larger formats and why. It could include some work by successful ULF photographers. For me, with modern film and lenses, ULF seems an affectation, like wearing a hair shirt. I would love to see a better explaination of why it is worth the trouble, something that goes beyond the usual "nothing compares with a contact print" mythology.

Steve; I think the content is great. Howeverr, I have poor eyesight (20/200) and find it difficult to read the font that is used in the text. It is thin and wispy (are those commonly used terms in publishing?) The captions seem blockier, but are in a low contrast grey. If these two itemscould be tweeked a little without changing the look of the magazine too much it would be a help.Otherwise...good job!

Regards,
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I think it would be great if I could get the, let's say Jan/Feb issue before the middle of Feb. I live in a major urban area and I sometimes don't see the magazine before the end of the second month.

W

Steve: (1) How about a balanced review of pros/cons of analog vs hybrid workflow. Cover issues including: required volume (e.g. how often must one print to avoid printer clogs); what does the "multi-format" photographer do when "prosumer" scanners like the new Epson 750 are deemed good for 4x5 & up, only fair for MF, and poor for 35mm (do we have to sell our Leicas and Nikons?); how do you deal with the initial cost if one decides to go back to the darkroom? So a "panel debate" (similar to your staining developer discussion) would be useful.
    (2) There have been several long threads on the best backpacks/systems for LF, and I don't think you've covered that in a long time.
    (3) A last thought, you could almost use the LF Forum for "data mining" - any subject covered in more than "n" threads with more than "m" responses would be a promising subject for VC!

De-Mystify some of the mystical lenses with real sample images. The Imagon done correctly re format size and done in-correctly. Degrees of "softness" with the different discs. B/W vs Color. Lighting contrast correct and conventional. Why does the ApoLanther rate so? Which lenses will just plop into a modern shutter.