Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

Re: View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

Didn't read all the above, so maybe this has already been suggested.

I saw Ellis' suggestion on black and white architecture photos. I like that idea.

In conjunction, how about a survey of black and white papers currently available. Might run a couple of issues. These manufacturers need all the help they can get.

Also, a survey of availble black and white films?

A survey of black and white paper and film developers?

Doug Dolde

Bareass naked women.

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    It would have been nice to have the Pyro article also mention the differences in scanning pyro vs non-staining developers. Considering that so many people scan their negs for output, that was a pretty serious omission.....unless of course I missed it somewhere in the article.
    I don't have the article on hand at the moment but I am fairly certain there was a question in the View Camera article about scanning with pyro stained negatives, and I believe I addressed the issue, briefly as it were since we were told to be concise in our answers and that particular issue was only one of many discussed in the article.

The question of scaning pyro stained negatives deserves a good study in my estimation, and if someone else does not address it in the near future I plan to do so.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I don't have the article on hand at the moment but I am fairly certain there was a question in the View Camera article about scanning with pyro stained negatives, and I believe I addressed the issue, briefly as it were since we were told to be concise in our answers and that particular issue was only one of many discussed in the article.

The question of scaning pyro stained negatives deserves a good study in my estimation, and if someone else does not address it in the near future I plan to do so.

Sandy King
    I would look forward to your views on scanning pyro negs. If anyone knows pyro......

This is slightly off topic but I would like to see publication timing co-ordination between View Camera and Camera Arts. This past month I recevied both magazines within days of each other. Now there will be 2 months with nothing. So its feats or famine. WHen you had both magazines, they would be spread out better with about 1 issue per month.

Absolutely love the magazine. Lots of great suggestions here, I would like to see:

Go monthly - how else are you going to cover all these ideas?

An article demonstrating the difference various films/developers/papers/toners have on one particular image. IE: What difference does Rodinal really make compared to Xtol or whatever?

How about some one time special issues covering things like this published in addition to the regular issues? Seems like one or two per year would add to the content and allow you to cover things that are more of a once every 3 or 4 years kind of thing.

More traditional darkroom help for the less experienced with less time to experiment like me.

Chronicle the progression of someone new to the format, how they struggled through the learning curve, examples of early work and how they improved over time, geared toward those new or considering LF for the first time.

If you do a comments from readers section, please don't allow the whining about typos, I'm so tired of reading that crap on these forums

Oh, and one more vote for more architectural

I read (and enjoy immensely) VC mainly for the inspiration that it provides me. Keep up the great work.

Bottom line - the magazine needs to reflect a broad spectrum of interests in order to maintain the reader/advertiser base to keep it viable. Getting hung up on niches would not be good. I am not especially into digital and articles on digital would not be appealing.

Things that I have especially enjoyed:

Architectural photography - portfolios, articles about successful photographers and their working styles, articles on the challenge of 'getting access', perhaps a few "how to"

Figurative photography - portfolios, articles about successful photographers (George Losse, Eric Boutilier-Brown, etc)

An occasional LF-oriented DIY article - film holders, cameras (the one several years ago was incomprehensible), darkroom stuff. I am intrigued with some of the panoramic formats but don't see myself putting out the cash for equipment, but if I had some decent construction plans I might take on a DIY project.

Platinum/Palladium printing - portfolios, an occasional "how to"

Bob a quick note that there was a two part article on film developer combinations done by Bruce Barlow nearly three years ago. This was part of a massive project he was doing. You might be able to get a copyof the article diect from the magazine and perhaps Bruce will weigh in here with some more comments. Remember that it is much easier to see the differences in the actual prints .... so ..... come on up to a Fine Focus Workshop in Northern New England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    ...there was a two part article on film developer combinations done by Bruce Barlow nearly three years ago...
    Didn't Bruce test paper/developer combinations?