Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

Now that some of the shouting is over I do have a sincere interest in hearing wh at people would like to see in future issues of View Camera magazine.

steve simmons

Beverly Hills, California

Steve, in general, I enjoy technical articles relating to film, paper, and printing - which we large format photographers tend to be interested in. Don't be afraid to re-cover something, perhaps in a different shade. Andre

PS Also portraiture: any chance of getting Richard Avedon to submit an article? Or have I missed that one already?

Articles and interviews (if living) in each issue of great and near- great LF photographers, with examples of their best work. Suggestions: Paul (not John Paul) Caponigro, Marie Cosindas, the Westons, the Muenchs, Saint Ansel, John Blakemore, Avadon, Meyerwitz, Sudek, Strand, George Tice.... Dig into their philosophy, give specific first-hand reviews of what they were doing and thinking for specific pictures (ala AA's "Examples"). The difference between LF and other photography is much more than the size of the cameras and film -- it is the attitude, which should be emphasized.

Some of your finest articles, including those that originally inspired me to pick up my first camera (a LF one as it happens), have been thoughtful interviews with photographers, usually featuring some of their work. It's fine to dwell on the brass tacks of equipment reviews and darkroom techniques, but at the end of the day it's presumably meant to be about the art itself. In addition to Avedon mentioned above, it would be great to hear (again?) from Sally Mann, Joel Peter Witken, Nicholas Nixon, just to touch on a few. Actually, now that I think about it, there has been more emphasis generally on landscape than portrait (in terms of artists, techniques, history, etc). I'd love to see more portrait photographers, both in terms of their work, but also their ideas and techniques. Not a criticism, and I'm sure these areas have been touched on in the 13 year life of the magazine, but they are what I'd like to see more of.

Still the first magazine I read despite a dozen professional journals in ophthalmology I'm supposed to get through every month!

Nathan

More interviews/portfolios of current photographers.

More detailed "history of lens design" type articles.

Reviews/samples from current books (not how to stuff)

Workshop reviews/descriptions (part promotional from the people offering the workshop plus a couple of reviews from participants)

Articles by leaders of phot suppliers (eg Kodak, Ilford) on how they see the future of their business.

Bios of the greats with some insights from their "assistants" etc

Keepup the good work

Alan

I read 'View Camera Magazine' in thirty mintues. rarely find value. I read 'Camera Arts' for days, constantly returning to relevant articles.

you'd never know they were related publishings.

Better editing of articles, especially those submissions by readers.

I agree there should be lots of interviews/profiles of contemporary LF artists with generous reproductions of their work. You do a good job with those sorts of features. But more women please. You may have to beat the bushes a bit but they are out there.

Along the same lines, continue coverage of (and feature users of) smaller format view cameras, which some women (and men) prefer for ease of transport. One of my female students saw my 6x9 Arca and her jaw dropped: "That makes me want to work with the view camera! The 4x5s at school are so unwieldy..."

How about a whole issue on medium format view cameras and practitioners?

Cheers, Sandy

I know that you are asking what we would like to see, but I will tell you what I don't want to see. I have no desire to see the number of articles concerning digital imaging that you have been running for the last couple years. That's why I haven't renewed. Get rid of all the digital articles and I might consider resubscribing.

Thanks for your comments. Portraiture will be the theme of our Jan/Feb 02 issue.

I will work on your other suggestions.

steve simmons