Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

Steve, thanks for asking. How about more coverage on photographic permanance, archival processing of B&W materials. What does Wilhelm say about this subject? How do the accepted masters in the fine art field process for permanence. What products improve archival permanence most effectively? I have been a subscriber for several years and look forward seeing this subject and the others suggested in upcoming issues. Ed O'Grady

Steve, I would enjoy a retrospective of Paul Caponegro's work.

I would like this opportunity to restate my opinion of John Paul Caponigro and his articles and interviews in View Camera. I reread my response about John Paul's interviews and it wasn't what I meant. I enjoy his interviews very much and his articles on digital printing. I was just using him as an example but failed to do a very good job. Please keep him on the payroll Steve. But also add other voices to your Magazine. Thanks. James

Gee, they came out of the woodwork on this one.

My rec's are; Portraiture(covered), competitions, in-depth camera reviews (especially older models for the new enthusiast), old/new lens reviews and test, centerfold (camera optional), handheld 4x5 article, 2x3 cameras article, Dunkin Donuts coupon, View Camera hats and t-shirts.

Get up a small budget and I'll produce a TV show for ya.

Gursky, interview him and get him to talk technical. In view of the noise lately on this forum about the going-digital-trend and View Camera's role in this, this may be a useful illustration of combining the best of the two worlds. Also, does Meyerovich still use the same techniques as during his Cape Light project, or did he come up with novel insights?

Lots of good suggestions above.

Coming from the U.S., I'd also like to see more work on photographers in other parts of the world, where the aesthetic and historical influences are much different from those in the American tradition, Gursky just being one of the biggest names.

Hard to get enough info about classic lenses, but of course, I know you've already published articles on them and they aren't making any more of them. How about publishing a _View Camera Magazine Guide to Classic Large-Format Lenses_, compiling articles from past issues maybe with some solid comparison data, tables of resolution and coverage and--most importantly--photographs made with these lenses that show their special qualities?

Have you ever done something on repairing and maintaining classic shutters? That's something I would like to see.

Well, I'll toss out an idea, in regards to some of the posts about preservation work. I know you all did an issue interviewing the 2 primary HABS/HAER guys, and some other preservation architectural articles in year's past, but I also enjoyed the article you did on the Chicago Albumen Works and the introduction of Centennial POP. Along the lines of archival storage, although there's a heck of alot of this info out there already ....anyways, maybe do an article about the Image Permanence Institute, the PAT and the updates to the ANSI specs....alot of people talk about archival storage, but really don't have an understanding of the "marketing" that goes on in some of the products out there....I'd also be interested in some more on the Chicago Albumen Works and the work they're doing in regards to preservation masters and conservation work on safety-based films....I know this isn't exactly "large format" shooting, but it still might be interesting to see an article about floating emulsions off decayed negs etc. Besides fine-art, the majority of the larger institutions around use sheet film, and I imagine will continue to do so as long as possible....my opinions here, not my employers.

With so much said, a few short comments: 1) Steve, don't be intimidated by the ludites that do not want to see more Digital stuff. They are probably the same ones that saw the portent of doom in such modern amenities as "artificial ice". For them you could have a few articles written by .....psychiatrists. 2) Don't limit articles to subject matter on the basis of equipment cost. The misguided pragmatism of those who propose such is the road to ignorance. A good magazine should open minds and be more than a Sears catalogue. 3) The LF community has a large population of the color blind or the pretentiously so. Humour them by all means, besides, it's cheaper. But do publish more articles dealing with color. We humans were given the great gift of a colourful world and the eyes to glory in it. Yes, colour photography is artistically more difficult as the good Ansel found out but that is no aliby for all the snobbery of the colour blind.

What I would like is a reason to pick up your magazine when I don't even have time to read it. The first two years I read your magazine I didn't even begin to undertand thoes articles on doing some complicated procedure or other -- now I go back and read them and I now they are there. If I am too tired or busy to read, I must pick it up for my archive and I will read it in six months. For the last near on year, there has been none of this in your magazine. I don't want to keep an archive of digital gizmoes that will be obsolete. Your magazine was a reference book bought monthly, now it is a "Dr. Tomorow" flyer. Dean Lastoria
    Dean Lastoria

I wish to again express my appreciation for all of the input I've received in the last week or so. Please be assured we are carefully reviewing all of the comments. Some articles are already developing out of the comments and I am sure that more ideas will develop as we review the suggestions.

In the next few weeks we will be updating our web site and one of the possibilities is that we will try an area where people can upload images and receive comments. However, before we try this I have two questions

is there any interest in us providing this type of service? should it be open to everyone or just subscribers? It is going to cost to create this service and subscribers are helping support our efforts.

Another question. Should we post articles on the web site? If so how current should they be?

steve simmons