Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why not meter with a DSLR?

Re: why not meter with a DSLR?

I think the whole point of a DSLR meter is that it gives you a histogram which gives you not just the middle gray, but tells you where the rest of the exposure values sit (highlights, shadows ...). In short, it is like a graphical zone meter. Using camera settings ("tone compensation" on nikon's for example) you can change the range of the histogram to match your film.

I think carrying two cameras is too much for me, but it would be a good product if some light meter company came out with a scene meter which replicated this functionality. With the cost of digital sensors right now, it should be an affordable item - but there are probably not enough buyers to earn back the development cost.

Taking Franks' use of the B&W preview a step further, I started using my POS digital to see the effects each filter had on the scene. I figured this out at Red Rock Canyon when using a red filter didn't seem to make much sense.

Eric
    Dad, why is the lens cap on?

One time I had everything calibrated and figured out with my 5d and B&W film; I found that the amount of equipment I brought and information received was far too distracting. I managed to mess up every shot that day because I was overwhelmed by tekmology. Mind you, I shoot portraits, so a landscape might be easier to tackle in this regard.
    Next day, I went back to my incident meter and now I'm happy letting the chips fall where they may.

Richard M. Coda

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Mark, when people used Polaroid to test exposure and composition, they had to do the arithmetic too.
    Arithmetic? What's that?
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

If you happen to already have a DSLR with an accurate meter you're golden. My Nikon D200 is terrific in this regard, having an RGB meter that isn't thrown off by color temperature as are many handheld meters using CDS or silicon photo cells. I use the spot meter most often. It's become rare that I blow an exposure on transparency film. When I do it's most likely because I've failed to consider the dynamic range of the scene, not having looked at the histogram. Quickloads make switching to neg film easy. But then, using negative film like Fuji Pro 160s, I could easily trust my 1948 GE DW58 meter to get me in the ballpark.

If I had a fancier flash/exposure meter I'd no doubt pack it, but I sure can't see spending big bucks on one using 1970's technology these days, not when you can buy a tour-de-force proofing device for the same kind of money or less.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I think the argument against a dslr is that it's overkill.
    The argument for is that you already have it!

It will certainly let you meter accurately; time will tell if you like using it or decide to fix/replace the spot meter.

Let us know how it goes.

I use my 5D MK II to meter for 4x5. Very accurate, just as accurate as my Sekonic meter if not more I set the Canon to ISO 50 (L) and it matches Velvia 50 - i also use it for shooting fast changing light that otherwise a slow 4x5 can't capture.

I previously used my dSLR for metering all the time until I was able to purchase a Pentax spotmeter and now I will not go back for a few reasons (some of them previously mentioned):

1. Weight / Size: If you're shooting landscapes with a LF then space is already at a premium and those dSLRs can take up a fair amount of room / weight.

2. Convenience: When I used my dSLR to meter, it was always a hassle to have to retrieve it from my camera bag, put the lens on, make sure the ISO is set correctly, check the E.I., make sure the metering setting is correct, etc... when you're shooting in rapidly setting/rising light, that time can cause you to lose a shot. For me, I have my spotmeter snapped to my vest so it is always easy to access and much quicker.

3. Prone to operator-error: Theoretically the concept is sound, but it is just one more thing you need to manage. I've lost some negatives because my ISO wasn't set correctly (not to mention few dSLRs can go to an ISO below 100) or my E.I. was off or I wasn't of "spot-meter" mode

4. Not conducive to the Zone System: If you're using the Zone System, then a Pentax spotmeter is just begging to be used. It is much better than calculating development based on a dSLR display.

All this being said, you certainly could use a dSLR... I was able to do it for some time and I did make plenty of successful negatives but - for the reasons above - I eventually made the switch and I just can't go back.

if using a digital cameras histogram remember that for just about every digital camera out there these are based on the JPG rendering of the scene not the raw data from the sensor even if you have your camera set to RAW.

The reason this is important is that if you have the contrast set to high the histogram might show highlight/shadow clipping when it might not actually be there in the real data from the sensor.

To see this for yourself put your DSLR on a tripod and take a shot of a test wedge with the contrast set all the way up. Then take another one with the contrast set all the way down. Then compare the histograms they will be vastly different.

On my Canon 30D I have found that if I bump the contrast down to between half way and all the way down I get the best results when I am using it to meter (which I do a lot). Since I also shoot 99% B&W film I set the camera for B&W mode and place the same color filters in of my DSLR. That way I get the exact metering for the filter I am using and don't have to think about filter factors.

- Is the exposure curve of a chip the same as with film?
    -Reciprocity failure?