Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think the next real revolution in photography?

What do you think the next real revolution in photography?

Andre,

In my opinion, the nature of photography is not determined by technology. So, e.g., whether Digital Imaging is Photography is not a matter of digital equipment, but merely a matter of manipulation (e.g. where is the borderline to Computer Graphics?). In this sense, I don't see the holographic process as Photography (although it would be interesting to look at), because I think of two-dimensionality as an immanent "feature" of photography. Think of how photographers make use of light to suggest three-dimensionality. All this does not apply to holography in the same way (as is does play a different role in traditional "stereo photography"). Holographs may need different techniques to archive esthetic and compelling results. Interesting, but not Photography.

Regards,

I too see holography as more akin to sculpture or architecture than photography - it's about arranging objects in 3D, not 2D. I know that words can be flexible, but one has to draw the line somewhere.

One of the more interesting revolutions has already taken place as part of the digital switch. Behind all the hype and argument about resolution and tonal reproduction is another subtle change - the decoupling of aperture and shutter speed. Thus far, we only have a few small format users marvelling at how they can switch "ASA" for each , but sooner or later I'm sure this will be used for artistic effect. In particular, it allows some new ways of depicting the time structure of a scene.

As it is now, time and motion are largely shown as a blurring, or sometimes in the LF world by the distortions caused by the passage of a slow focal plane shutter (think Lartigue's racecar). With a digital sensor you can do new things by analysing and combining a sucession of frames in various ways. An example: it is quite common to take pictures of public places with no people in them by using a very long exposure so that only the constant elements appear in the final image. Imagine instead combining a succession of images taken over the same time period so that the non-constant elements were more prevalant. *All* the people that appeared in the scene during the day would represented and such an image would reveal patterns of use like hot and dead spots, as well as identify those individuals with way too much time on their hands.

The next revolution in photography? I see an entirely new means of capturing images besides film and CCD. A device permitting resolution well beyond traditional film with an exposure range exceeding 10 stops. It will make the current crop of mega pixel digital devices look like eight track tapes, and Velvia like pinhole photos.

You could manipulate exposure and color balance with a viewing screen, which would show exactly what the print would look like.

So, you're talking about one ot thoes 3-d sculpting machines like on Jurasic park III -- but colour! Dean
    Dean Lastoria

Senior for sure

This will be, I think, a somewhat contrary view. I don't think there is one (next revolution). At least not in the foreseeable future. The current evolution (not revolution) is about recording media, not photography. This is why many of the digital photography magazines (and some hardware manufacturers) can't get it right, and why the mainstream photo mags are only now climbing on. Film processing as we know it commercially is a very endangered species, as is film availability. Many of us will be hard pressed to continue without at least digitizing the image at the film plane because there literally won't be any choice. Thirty years ago the photo shop owner would have told you that without processing, you'd never buy a camera from him and he'll tell you that today, because the processing was the only part that made him any money. In 10 years most of that will be gone. The industry is/was driven by the print media for most of photography's life (Alright, I'll nod to the wedding photographers among us). Today, the term "print media" has become blurred, and its digitization that has blurred it, and the majority players are serving notice that film just isn't in the equation any more. Hopefully, there'll be enough of us to keep at least some film production lines up, but as they age... With a good bit of luck, digital backs will become cheap enough soon enough. The forward thinking LF photographer will equip himself mentally and technically as the opportunity presents. Boy, that sounded pessimistic, but actually its not - I'm looking forward to taking my 4x5 digital image (off my 150 year old technology) and piping it into my digital darkroom, which is a reality today (unfortunately, only to 6x12), and producing big gorgeous prints entirely under my control, instead of sending the LF stuff out as I have to do now.

The next revolution will probably just encompass further enhancements to existing cameras and metering systems such as multiple on screen, or shiftable metering points, automatic hyperfocal settings, or DOF viewfinder scales. Possible; eyeglass displays thru optic cords. Incorporating sound will be the next "real" revolution in still photography. It will add the extra dimension that it now lacks. A sound track wil be added to the edge of the film like video film. Frames will encompass an audio reader.