Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think the next real revolution in photography?

Beverly Hills, California

What do you think the next real revolution in photography?

I don't think it's the "digital" as we are talking about it now.

I think it's going to involve high technology using some set of methods for capt uring 3 dimensional images and then reproducing them on/in a very thin, conviene nt substrate casting a three dimensional image.

Boy would that be fun for portraiture.

Holography - I have seen some pretty impressive images projected into a predefined "space" from multiple computer projection units. The "projectors" were the size of a pack of cigarettes, and they produced an image roughly 6"x6". The first I saw was in the early '90s in a display at a university physics dept. The one that impressed me most was an image of a young woman - it was a crisp image of her face - that followed the viewer no matter where you moved. It was also animated/lifelike - she occasionally smiled and/or winked. Imagine displaying a "slide show" of your landscapes this way. Or sending a display of a shoot to the editor. I can't wait.

Andre you posed an excellent question... I would have to agree with you. In essence, it will be virtual reality.

I agree with the previous posts. I also think that as this next revolution comes to be, whatever it is, there will be an accompanying splitting off of a strong traditional photography movement, kind of like an updated "straight photography" movement. With every technological advance we see (and I can't wait to see what the future holds), we usually see at least a small movement in the other direction. Should be interesting to see what comes about.

Honestly, I would like the next big thing in photography to be vast improvements in the printing process - materials and chemicals that yield blacks far more light-absorbent than anything invented to date, tonal range, contrast, and resolution that can reproduce subtleties hidden deep inside negatives, and highlights that literally glow with a pure, unadulterated white.

With digital cameras becoming more popular among professionals, the only way to get B&W art photographers to join the bandwagon is to make a printing process that can meet and/or exceed the qualities of traditional/alternative printing processes.

All this technology should be good for something, right?

I'm waiting something I read months ago about hyper-fast films with the resolution/contrast of actual low speed films... Perhaps a Mega- velvia 12800...

Andre, much is possible to think of. For me, the particular question is: what has it got to do with Photography? There have always been new approaches to "pictures" (e.g. Computer Graphics). But these have not been something like Photography. In my opinion, it is an essential part of photography to capture the world as it is in a two dimensional image. All the secrets and techniques of photography are about taking snapshots from the real world to form an aesthetic two- dimensional picture. This (and other things) delimits photography from other visual arts, like painting, sculpture, film, computer graphics, etc. This does not mean that they could not be exciting alternatives. And of course, all these arts have something in common at a certain level of abstraction. But their techniques are discussed at different "places".

Regards,

Beverly Hills, California

Thilo, how would you feel about a holography type process as described that was developed not for the technology advance itself, but keeping in mind those processes which intuitively appeal to our biological sensibilities as humans, such as: passive bi-image capture process using traditional, refractive optics. (As opposed to some sort of laser triangulation scanning capture)

Instead of using computers with their ever-evolving storage formats to manipulate and store the image: advanced chemical/physical process would be used to record, develop, and display a high fidelity detailed, believable, and archival 3D likeness which is passively viewed? (ie, no batteries necessary to view the final image)

Finally, what if the process was inherently involved, yet perfectable by a single person through studied craftmanship with fiscally accessible materials?

I asked this question of a local camera salesman in conversation, his answer 'Traditional photography could become the artform it always threatened to be'!

multiplex

maybe the next step would be making a camera/printing medium that is easily used by a lay-person to yield the results of an artist/professional. no training or experience would be necessary. i guess it is kind of like what digital equipment tries to promise its users today ...