Thread: Hello from Orlando, FL

Hello from Orlando, FL

Hello all. I have been very curious about LF for some time now, but I have never done anything about it.

I'm a hobbyist DSLR shooter. I like shooting portraits, animals, family events...

I was going to spend $1500 on some new glass, but I have reconsidered. I would rather try something new.

I would love to meet someone in the Orlando/Central Florida area that would be willing to allow me to tag along to try LF first hand. Of course, I would be willing to pay for materials used, etc. I'm not looking for a free ride, just someone willing to share their experience so that I can try it out before spending my money.

I am an elementary school science teacher after a ten year career (short, I know...but I found something different that I love doing!) as a laser scientist. I'm married and have a 2.5 year old daughter and another one on the way.

If anyone is willing or knows of a local group, please let me know. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you,
    Steve

Re: Hello from Orlando, FL

Welcome to group therepy, Steve! I'm sure you'll hear from some other folks from your area...seems like we have one or two from just about everywhere here! To start with, get yourself off to the library and get a little book-learning...I highly recommend the Ansel Adams 5-book series, especially the opening book, "Camera and Lens". He puts info into easily understandable language that won't loose newer photographers and explains camera movements and use very well.

Thanks Vick. Book is ordered and on the way.

Steve

I don't want to discourage you before you get started but LF isn't usually the ideal format to photograph animals and family events. People and animals tend to move around and by the time you get set up and ready to go the events are over and the animals are asleep.

If Colonial Camera is still in business you might stop in and see if they have any used LF cameras on hand that they'd let you fool around with. Years ago they were the best camera store in your area and sometimes had a few LF cameras around.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks Brian. I do know that I would be attempting a new style of photography. I was just giving a brief history of what I have done to date. That was there mainly to let you know I am not a pro...just someone looking to try something different.

I'll talk to the guys at Colonial. I appreciate your advice, and will take more if you have it.

Steve