Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Small Survey Please ...

A Small Survey Please ...

Landscapes/portraits in 6x6(old hass MF) and 5x7 techIII, FP4 and HP5 in id11 or HC, FB(some RC) selenium toned. I work enough every day in software def. to believe that art isn't art if it is too easy.

Kodak film loaded in old 8x10 and 4x5 cameras, wet dark room using kodak chemistry, contact prints and small enlargements. beautiful fiber based prints very small fine art market. I don't even scan for the web and our christmas cards have tipped in silver prints. the only thing digital is this message.

4x5 and 6x17 ;

Black and white ; mainly TMX, Delta 100 and Pan F+, developed in PMK Pyro or Rodinal, scanned using an Agfa Duoscan HiD, and printed on an Epson 1160 with Lyson inks on Lyson soft fine art paper. Still working on getting decent 6x17 scans.

Colour ; mainly Astia and sometimes Velvia, normally sent to a lab for enlargements.

8x10 and 5x7, black and white only, using Kodak Plus-X developed in open trays in D-76 and printed (straight) on either Agfa MC Classic FB, Chicago Albumen Works Centennial POP or handmade albumen. I scan prints using an HP desktop scanner for reference, web display and email purposes.

4x5 mostly, but some 8x10. TMY & TMX are my standard films, tray processed in Ilfotec HC. Once in while I'll expose a 4x5 chrome. I do have an MF backup camera or two which I take on trips where weather or wind could impede LF work.

I neglected to mention that I print on conventional double weight photographic paper.

8x10", 6x6cm, and 35mm, B&W silver processes and color transparency (C-41 infrequently). I print all my own B&W conventionally and have little interest in the current digital alternatives for B&W, have done Cibachrome and C-printing in the past, but now looking to drum scanning and Lightjet for printing from chromes. I own a 35mm film scanner and an old flatbed scanner, mostly for putting images on the web, infrequently for printing using online digital printing services like Ofoto. I don't own a color inkjet printer. I also have a Coolpix 990, which I use for snapshots, text scanning and image archiving related to my academic research, and with a copystand and lightbox for digitizing medium and large format negs/chromes for the web.

Mostly pleasure shooting, some freebie promotional shots for charitable organizations that I'm involved with (generally for magazine story illustration).

Scan only to sell on ebay or to put together website (which I plan to do shortly).

Large Format - 8x10, 4x5, black and white traditional process only, FB and RC paper, have not scanned any yet (actually, scanned one to send to another large format guy for comments once).

Medium Format - black and white with some color, process and print B&W myself as with LF, send out color for process and print. very little scanned so far.

35mm - mostly color with some black and white. Send out all color, do own black and white. Have scanned several for various purposes. No manipulation other than simple overall brightness, contrast and color balance.

My film is TMAX 400 in 4 x 5 and 5 x 7 developed in split D-23. Camera is Wista 4 x 5 with a 5 x 7 expander back, too. I print almost exclusively in pt/pd in camera film sizes. I am using photoshop, pagemaker and acrobat to create enlarged digital negatives (up to 10 x 12)for pt/pd printing.

I try to use whatever works best for the image I want to produce.

Film capture of the image (Velvia and FP4 for LF, Fuji Press 400 & 800 for 35mm) then scanned and printed on Lambda 2 printer. Most dollar value sales come from the 35mm horse race finish photos, while the LF stuff sells in galleries and market stalls.