Thread: Comparison

Comparison

I realize this is not LF but I don't know of any other place to ask this question.

I just received word that my insurance company will pay for replacement of my stolen MF
    gear. Is anyone aware of a comparison of the Mamiya 645 AFD III with ZLd back to the Canon 5DII? Does anyone know of anyone that is currently shooting this camera with the Mamiya 22mp digital back?

I need to purchase this system in order to receive reimbursement for the stolen equipment under the replacement clause of my insurance policy. If I don't I will forfeit about $18,000.00. I am trying to decide if I want to resell the med format or my 5DII. How much of a discount from retail should I expect to give to a buyer for a new unused medium format digital system with four lenses if I decided to resell the Mamiya system?

Thanks for any information that you can provide me.

Donald Miller

Re: Comparison

The big difference to think about is that while the Mamiya will be great at 50 or _maybe_ 100, the 5DII will trounce it at higher ISOs. (That is my experience with Phase backs.) At the lowest ISO the Mamiya will give cleaner images, probably with more detail, as it likely lacks an AA filter. Everything else about the Mamiya will be worse: speed, autofocus, screen... For landscapes, architecture, and still life these negatives wouldn't be a big deal.

Sorry, I can't answer about prices. Whether the warranties are transferable would be hugely important.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Join Getdpi and ask your question there.

If you have $18,000 to spend and have to buy Mamiya for comparability to your stolen equipment, DON'T buy a ZD system - go for a Mamiya body with one of the more affordable Phase One or Leaf backs. The ZD back is compromised in too many ways. Especially don't buy a ZD or ZDb system at its list price - B&H has recently been clearing out remaining new stock of ZDb's at $3700 for the back, which will decimate the resale value. My impression is that even at the higher price, there should be greater demand for a P1- or Leaf-based system at a reasonable discount to its original price.

But really, go ask over at Getdpi where there are lots of people with experience with MFDBs, and an active buy-and-sell board. Jack Flesher from here is one of the proprietors there. Explain your situation and I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful advice.

As for which you'd want to use yourself, a medium format back is much more constraining than a DSLR. Oversimplified advice would be that if you intend to use the equipment hand-held most of the time, forget the medium format back. If you intend to use the equipment for careful tripod-based work, a medium format back may suit your working habits and its advantages over a DSLR will be clearer. But there's a lot more to the story than that. Spend a few hours browsing the medium format sections on Getdpi and Luminous Landscape and you'll learn about all the things you need to worry about with a MF back.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I appreciate your insight and opinions.

Donald Miller

The 5dmkII system I would think would be the better option for resale. Unused L lens, 16-35mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8IS, any of the L primes wide to tele, would have great resale value too. There is a much larger market for that camera system than any medium format system. I'd be careful not too shoot with it too much if you are going to buy and resell immediately, you might get hooked and have to keep it!
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

If you have to purchase the gear from a bonafide, in-stock dealer, then flipping a Canon quickly and closer to retail price is going to be a lot easier than buying a MFDB and finding a willing buyer quickly. That GetDPi For Sale section seems to be full of togs upgrading their MFDBs and selling their year-old obsolete ones for pennies on the dollar. Apparently the dealers wheel and deal and extend varying degrees of discounts and sales gimmicks when you go in to purchase your $10K plus back -- after all they are in car dealer territory.

I think what I am going to try to do is see if the insurance company will allow me to switch items since they have already agreed to value. Another 5D II (I already own one) with a 600 F4 and 400 F2.8 lens will come to $18,704.00.

Does this make more sense?

Considering flipping, does the IDS III make more sense than a 5DII? I don't see why it sells at such a premium...it has no no video capability although a higher burst rate. Would another lens focal length be better (say the 300 F 2.8 rather than the 400 f 2.8).

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Donald Miller