Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Out of Stock - Beware!

Re: Film Out of Stock - Beware!

I have some 4x5 TMY2 on back order from Calumet. I was in no hurry when I bought it but the delay is getting longer...

TMY2 seems like a big success. I wonder if it is such a success that they did not manufacture enough or if somehow their business model is taking after the Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    You guys are missing the point. The problem is not just that Rick can't get any T-Max 400 but that "Houston, we've got a problem!"
    We didn't miss anything. I just stopped worrying about the film/paper supply line. When film is gone, I will learn wetplate. No pre-coated paper - just hand coat. Kodak gone - use Ilford. Ilford gone - use Efke.

Terence

I think it's time to move out of Chicago . . .

Kidding. Mostly.

If y'all remember 2 years ago, Kodak let the supply of TMY dwindle prior to introducint TMY-2. Maybe, just maybe, Kodak is letting the supply of TMY-2 in 10 sheet boxes dwindle prior to reintroducing 25 or 50 sheet boxes........

Well, we can always hope...

Just some random thoughts:

1. In a major market like Chicago, I'm surprised the 4X5 film stock is so low. If this is the case in Chicago, it probably is the case in other cities as well.

2. Money talks, & I think someone is missing the boat when demand is higher than supply.

3. In posting this thread, my hope is that maybe photo stores & film manufacturers are listening. I needed to speak up first, though. We need to let them know that maybe they have miscalculated the film market.

4. I've now learned to buy extra film when it is available & keep an extra box or two in the freezer.

5. I have tested T-Max 400 & Tri-X 320 (also all sold out), but now feel I need to test Ilford, T-Max 100, Efke & whatever else is out there as a backup.

6. Even though I was frustrated, I choose to see this in a positive way, in that, it sounds like a whole new generation is learning large format. Let's hope that these "students" fall in love with a LF image like us old-timers. New users will drive demand for more film to be made in the future. Maybe this situation is a good sign.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rcjtapio View Post
    Just some random thoughts:

1. In a major market like Chicago, I'm surprised the 4X5 film stock is so low. If this is the case in Chicago, it probably is the case in other cities as well.

2. Money talks, & I think someone is missing the boat when demand is higher than supply.

3. In posting this thread, my hope is that maybe photo stores & film manufacturers are listening. I needed to speak up first, though. We need to let them know that maybe they have miscalculated the film market.

4. I've now learned to buy extra film when it is available & keep an extra box or two in the freezer.

5. I have tested T-Max 400 & Tri-X 320 (also all sold out), but now feel I need to test Ilford, T-Max 100, Efke & whatever else is out there as a backup.

6. Even though I was frustrated, I choose to see this in a positive way, in that, it sounds like a whole new generation is learning large format. Let's hope that these "students" fall in love with a LF image like us old-timers. New users will drive demand for more film to be made in the future. Maybe this situation is a good sign.

Rick
    Rick, I hope that you will find the film necessary for your next project.

To address your point #4 above, I have always made certain to have enough film on hand for at least two years of photography. When I was doing commercial work, this was somewhat difficult to calculate, but at that time, film was plentiful and not a major concern. I am referring to black and white sheet film, and have never found it necessary to freeze anything other than color film. Perhaps I am fortunate to live in a temperate climate.

The bottom line is, to know your contemplated output, and stock accordingly. If your favorite supplier or manufacturer pulls the plug, you will still have time to test and prepare for new materials. The same goes for paper if you do the wet process.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    If y'all remember 2 years ago, Kodak let the supply of TMY dwindle prior to introducint TMY-2. Maybe, just maybe, Kodak is letting the supply of TMY-2 in 10 sheet boxes dwindle prior to reintroducing 25 or 50 sheet boxes........

Well, we can always hope...
    Wouldn't it be great if Kodak was listening!

multiplex

jeez i haven't bought film in a long time ... 10sheet boxes ?

LJ Segil

Quote Originally Posted by Terence McDonagh View Post
    I think it's time to move out of Chicago . . .

Kidding. Mostly.
    Yup, October is about time to move out of Chicago, the courageous begin to return in May.
    No need to thaw freezer stored film prior to use during the months in between.
    LJS

Living in Massachusetts, I get mine from Badger Graphics, in Wisconsin.

Just got 2 boxes, no problems whatsoever, arrived quickly. Purchased online.

Same great taste - twice the speed - and half the calories* - of TMax 100.

* A fact little-known outside of Rochester NY