Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final cut at site - comments please!

Final cut at site - comments please!

http://www.epr-art.com

There are still some old pages to convert, but I have a general layout now, and an auto indexed gallery page, so I can easily add the rest of the galleries as I covert/build them. This is the black and white stuff, the color stuff is a lower priority. I will add the dancing priests and bloody pig heads later.

When I get everything added, I will start turning on Paypal, which is already wired into the pages.

Re: Final cut at site - comments please!

Just took a quick peek before I log off for the evening... Navigation seems to be working OK. Just a couple of formatting/style points: On the home page, the gallery titles and subtitles look scrunched together - a smidge more space between the lines would help a lot, I think. Also, the blue-on-black labels on the Katrina special page are close to impossible to read on my screen. But is that page is supposed to go away when you're done?

Congratulations on getting it all up and running.

Renders well on Safari. Initial page load is a tad slow. The images look great.

Owen,

Yes, that will go away.

Jim,

That is the trade off - I use better JPGs for the look, but they load slower.

It looks a lot better. I don't care for dark portfolio sites (black or grey backgrounds) but whatever you want, you Goth.

In general, while you're not a graphic or web designer you need to think like a (good) one... I think you need to experiment with the size of the type to find the right balance between legibility and it not overpowering the site. Think in terms of establishing a consistent hierarchy of type, 2-4 sizes/styles, keeping it sans-serif and simple.

Right now, the menu items are horsey by a factor of 2-3x what they need to be to be legible. Also, I find it disturbing to have the menu change as I go through the site. When I am looking at your photos I should still be able to hit the About and Contact menu items but they are missing. Drop the size of the menu and keep it consistent. Put the sub navigation for the gallery underneath the "higher-up" main nav. Hierarchy ;-)

The text columns are too narrow for the size of the type, either drop the size or widen the column and shrink/center the image.

I have no f-ing clue as to how you're building it, but it would be nice to have the captions at a consistent distance below the photos.

You have to judge the jpgs individually, ones with lots of smooth areas can be saved at a lower quality. Unfortunately it is the busy ones (grass, details) that benefit the most from higher quality saves, but that only makes them larger. That's life.

I know this isn't your regular job and it is a great effort, I can see all the labor you've put in!

How is it going to be for updating? That's why I probably wouldn't build a static gallery in a modern site these days, I would seriously consider using some sort of service like Zen-Folio or even Flickr to serve the image galleries. But now that you've got 100 hours into it I am sure you don't like hearing that! lol

And if you really want to sell prints, put a little more into the bio and get a good picture of yourself. Art collectors, even bottom feeding cheapskates, like to know the artist is a real human.

Looks good and flows well with Blackberry Storm.

The text is far too large, and there's too much scrolling up/down needed.

That front page should fit on the screen without the image disappearing off the bottom. See attached file. (The width is fine I'm using a wider sreen on a laptop)

Ian

Ed,
    Looks nice. The photos are spectacular.
    Not all captions are showing up in the slide show. Also, misspelling of Presidio and cannon.

Lots of great tips! I am going to be on the road - maybe even take a picture - but will work on them next week.

Ian - the perpetual problem - the image fits fine on my desktop, but not my laptop. My academic site is built for the lowest common denominator - you can read it with Lynx - but I gave this up for the art stuff.

Never say "final cut". Mine has been changing since 2002 and is far better for it.

If you used Slideshow Pro for galleries you could have scalable full screen images to fit any screen.