Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: viability of photo workshops in your community

Re: viability of photo workshops in your community

I taught two architectural photography workshops for the Rocky Mountain School of Photography in Missoula, Montana over two summers. Their workshops bring in a large number of students and I can't help but think attendees have a positive impact on the local community. They all have to live and eat somewhere. The workshops I taught were both one week each. They also have an Intensive workshop series whereby students commit to living and studying there for about 8-9 weeks I think. The school is a business which pays taxes and employs many people who obviously live in the town.

Perhaps this is the exception, but I would bet RMSP has a positive impact on the town's economy.

Best,
    Randy

Jacob,

I like your work, and it sounds like you are a real "go-getter" but you should really have someone proofread your stuff for spelling errors! Not for posts here necessarily, but for your public offerings.

Gregg W

Eric Biggerstaff

Raymond,

I would imagine that an arts workshop program could have a very important impact on small communities. I have attended a couple of programs at Anderson Ranch in Snowmass and that facility is very important to the Snowmass community as well as the entire area around Aspen. As you know, it attracts well known artists from across the country (and world) and is highly regarded for more than just photography. Their facilities are first rate and the staff is very professional.

I think the key would be to start small, have good teaching facilities, good support from the community and offer programs that appeal to a wide range of people and are priced right. In addition, if the courses are offered in an area that is beautiful to visit, easy to get to and offers more than just the workshop to keep the non-photographers in the family busy then all the better (and where you are located this isn't a problem).

In Colorado, you have a great area to work in and many talented local photographers who you could reach out to for input and for instructors.

Good luck!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com