Thread: Durst 8x10 but Dichroic only goes to 80m/y

Durst 8x10 but Dichroic only goes to 80m/y

I have been using dichroic heads when printing on VC papers. The head I am used to (Saunders LPL4500) goes all the way up to about 170cc. I have learned to work with this scale to increase and decrease contrast, split contrast etc... Recently I have gained access to a Durst 8x10 enlarger with a Pavelle (I believe ) Dichroic head (wish to enlarge negatives larger then 4x5). The problem is that the Dichroic head only goes to 80 units. I have seen another Durst Head (for 6x 6) that is about 25years old and it also only goes to 80ish on M or Y.

So here are the questions... did the scale change or does it just cut-off at 80 (as we know it with current equip.), do I split my old scale in half? Other...?

So... I throw myself at the mercy of the board - I am at a loss for answers and solutions.

P.S.: The spec sheets that come with the paper indicate a Durst scale, but once again the higher grades indicate a much higher number than what the head can dia l into.

I don't know if this is a solution but you can check if it is matter of different scaling by putting an incident meter under the light source and check what the meter reading is for both enlargers with the filter at the highest setting. If you get the same reading then is only the scale that is different. OTH you can always use under the lens filters to augment your dichoric filters. Good luck.

Durst numbers are different than Kodak numbers, info should be on the Durst or Jobo web site. My Beseler Agfa head had supplimental filters around CC40 that could be added to the path allowing an amount higher than indicated on the dicro dial. Check and see if your Pavelle dosen't have something like this hidden somewhere. According to my Durst L-1200 manual Durst CC80M equals grade 4. Adding to your 80 limit, a 15Y (+24M) will give you grade 1. Adding 40Y +(22M) will give grade 0. Since you are using 8x10 negs, if you really need the extream grades ever, I would be concerned about something else being wrong.