Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    886

    acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

    What is the acceptable margin of error on the aperture scale?

    I have a prontor shutter that I like to caliber to one of my lens. The lens is currently in copal shutter with original aperture scale. I called S K grime this morning, got some instruction on how to do it myself. Basically as long as I match the opening area, it should be fine. My question is that what is the acceptable margin of error?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,952

    Re: acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

    What type of film are you shooting? It is more critical for pos than neg.

    Even if the scale is a bit off, you can shoot a few test sheets to calibrate it yourself, record how much the scale is under or over, and adjust accordingly each time you shoot.

  3. #3

    Re: acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

    The easiest way to accurately calibrate it yourself is to set up a grey card and evenly light it. Then put the lens on and focus on the grey card (a large one and one that fill most of the GG at a distance where you have no bellows factor. Meter the card with the lens wide open off the GG. See what the difference is from reading it directly. The difference is the amount of light your GG absorbs. Then put that factor in the meter and start to close the aperture. Mark every full stop as well as 1/2 or 1/4 stops. Now your lens is calibrated.

    For best use you should use either a GG probe or a microscope adapter on your meter and block off all stray light. If you have a Linhof made since the late 1950s you could also do this with the Linhof Focus/Metering Bellows.

  4. #4

    Re: acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

    Or, since you are in NJ either Krimar Service or Danielle service could easily do this for you. They are both in N NJ.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    886

    Re: acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    What type of film are you shooting? It is more critical for pos than neg.

    Even if the scale is a bit off, you can shoot a few test sheets to calibrate it yourself, record how much the scale is under or over, and adjust accordingly each time you shoot.
    I shoot slides and b&w. Is 1/6 stop acceptable?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    886

    Re: acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

    Thanks Bob, I was thinking using a caliper to measure the sides and then calculate the area, as long as I have the error of area within 7%, which is = 1/10 stop. The meter I have here has increament of 0.1 stop. 7% error in area shouldn't be too hard to beat.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,221

    Re: acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

    A 6 percent error in the diameter will produce about one sixth stop error in the stop. That should not affect exposure materially.

    Keep in mind that it is not the physical aperture that is relevant but rather the entrance and exit pupils which are the images of the aperture as seen through the front and and rear of the lens. This can be quite difficult to unders and well enough to measure properly, so you are better off using some method like that recommended by Bob Solomon.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,290

    Re: acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Evens View Post

    Keep in mind that it is not the physical aperture that is relevant but rather the entrance and exit pupils which are the images of the aperture as seen through the front and and rear of the lens. This can be quite difficult to unders and well enough to measure properly, so you are better off using some method like that recommended by Bob Solomon.

    but, as he states in th eop, he has the original shutter with the original aperture scale...would it no suffice to....

    for each marked f-stop,
    1) set the aperture to an f/stop,
    2) measure the opening in the original shutter
    3) adjust the opening in the new shutter to match the measured size.
    4) mark the f-stop scale on the new shutter.
    repeat

    surely, this would be more accurate than fiddling around with a light meter reading off the GG...no?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    S.W. Wyoming
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    but, as he states in th eop, he has the original shutter with the original aperture scale...would it no suffice to....

    for each marked f-stop,
    1) set the aperture to an f/stop,
    2) measure the opening in the original shutter
    3) adjust the opening in the new shutter to match the measured size.
    4) mark the f-stop scale on the new shutter.
    repeat

    surely, this would be more accurate than fiddling around with a light meter reading off the GG...no?
    That's the way I do it when I have the original shutter. Pretty hard to miss going it that way. Keep in mind that shutters can ofen be off by 1/6 to 1/3 stop even when in good shape. They also vary with temperature. Considering this, I would try to keep the aperture as accurate as possible. Even though it's expensive to do with LF slide film, after the initial test I would bracket important shots.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,221

    Re: acceptable margin of error on aperture scale

    If you are measuring area, remember that the area is proportional to the square of the diameter. That means that a 12 percent error in the area will result in about a 6 percent error in the effective diameter, which in turns corresponds to about 1/6 stop. Tha t should be close enough for all practical purposes.

Similar Threads

  1. Wrong aperture blades on Grandagon 90mm
    By Aender Brepsom in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2009, 10:26
  2. Aperture scale -- different elements.
    By Shen45 in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3-Jun-2007, 17:28
  3. Aperture scale for 90mm f8 Super-Angulon
    By Patrik Roseen in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2006, 16:46
  4. calculating aperture scale - an easy way?
    By tim atherton in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 5-Feb-2006, 08:02
  5. Germinar W + compur 0 and aperture scale
    By Sven Schroder in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2005, 01:50

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •